French to English états-unien

Dictionary entry: états-unien

Roger Gauvin

The people from United States call themself American, that is an error. I leave in Canada in North America so I'm also an American
  • Hello,

    Thank you for your message, and yes, of course you are. However, the French term being translated specifically means someone from the US, and the word for that in English is 'American'. The translation has the usage tag 'person from the US' specifically to make it clear that 'American' here means someone from the US and not someone from any American country.

    If you consider that people from the US shouldn't call themselves Americans, I'm afraid I can't help with that. Our translation and usage tag are correct.