être en retard / avoir du retard

< Previous | Next >

dnldnl

Russian, Ukrainian
Is there a difference between the two?

Could I say both "je suis en retard" and "j'ai du retard"? If so, would they translate differently?

• Arzhela

French
    Yes, there is a difference between the two.
    Je suis en retard = I'm late.
    j'ai du retard can't be used alone => you can say : j'ai du retard dans mon travail, for example.

dnldnl

Russian, Ukrainian
    Thank you, Arzhela, for your reply! In the text, I have: "A 20 heures l’express Le Havre-Paris entre en gare, sur la voie 23. Il n’a pas de retard."

Here avoir du retard is used alone, isn't? Why is it OK to use it "alone" here?

geostan

English Canada
    Because it's a train. Actually, you can use both with the train, but only etre en retard with a person.

Je suis en retard.
    Le train a deux heures de retard
    Le train est en retard de deux heures.

Froggysandra

French
    Because it's a train. Actually, you can use both with the train, but only etre en retard with a person.

Je suis en retard.
    Le train a deux heures de retard
    Le train est en retard de deux heures.

Avoir du retard may also be used with a person (woman): i.e. for early pregnancy

J'ai du retard (dans mes règles)
    J'ai deux semaines de retard
    etc

n007

Dari
    Hello,
    How would "he was 2 hours late" be translated? Context being: "So there was this storm, and he was like 2 hours late, and I'm waiting at the station, worrying big time". And by the way, the temps familiere is intentional :)
    Would it be "il etait 2 heures en retard, et j'attends....etc"? I would really appreciate some help! Thank you!!!

Elvye

French - France
    Considering the familiar tone, I'd say "il avait genre deux heures de retard, et moi j'attendais..."

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    I would say you change to "de retard" when you specify how late someone/somebody is.
    "J'ai beaucoup de retard dans mon travail."
    "J'ai du retard (dans mes règles)"
    "J'ai deux semaines de retard"
    "Le train est arrivé avec 20 minutes de retard.

< Previous | Next >