încoţofenite

• robbie_SWE

Trilingual: Swedish, Romanian & English
    Cuvantul vine defapt de la "cotofana", care este o pasare pricopsita. In sensul asta inseamna ca "gagici" erau pregatiti special (poate imbracaminte mai extravaganta sau o atitudine snobisitca).

:) robbie

aurette

Romanian Romania - Transylvania
    Cuvantul vine defapt de la "cotofana", care este o pasare pricopsita. In sensul asta inseamna ca "gagici" erau pregatiti special (poate imbracaminte mai extravaganta sau o atitudine snobisitca).

Since încoţofenite is feminine plural, gagici means girls in slang, good looking girls

gagici plural, undetermined article (articol nehotarat)
    gagicile plural, determined article le (articol hotarat)

Mallarme

AmEng., "lapsed" Korean
    Since încoţofenite is feminine plural, gagici means girls in slang, good looking girls

gagici plural, undetermined article (articol nehotarat)
    gagicile plural, determined article le (articol hotarat)

Yes -- I read somewhere that in current spoken Romanian "gagici" is only used for females even though there is a masculine (gagic/gagici) and a feminine form (gagică, gagice) according to dexonline. But the feminine adjective is a good clue - I hadn't noticed that! Thanks! :)

aurette

Romanian Romania - Transylvania
    We use gagiu/gagii for the guys, and I use that when I see one that I like,
    and gagică/gagici for the girls.
    You can see that gagici is feminine plural since it is used with the feminine adjective in your example.
    ;)

robbie_SWE

But just one word of advice: please don't use "gagici" or "gagiu". It's not flattering and I would personally never use that word (it actually comes from the Romani language). AND never say it to a girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mallarme

AmEng., "lapsed" Korean
    But just one word of advice: please don't use "gagici" or "gagiu". It's not flattering and I would personally never use that word (it actually comes from the Romani language). AND never say it to a girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mmm... de acord... dar de ce? Este atât de rău? :confused: ... nu este asemenea cu "chicks" sau aşa ceva? Şi de mai sus, aurette a scris că ar spune "gagiu"... nu-este jignitor pentru băieţi? Sunt puţin confuză...

parakseno

Romanian, Romania
    Well it depends on who you're saying it to... if it's someone "high-society" then it won't be considered very flattering. But in everyday language it's starting to loose it's derogatory meaning. I've heard it used facetiously too.

robbie_SWE

The reason why I'm against it, is because you look down on the person you're saying it to (este foarte taranesc!). "Gagici" is like saying "hey you woman", it's too primitve for me.

Arnaldo Alegré

Español (Nativo) + English (Master) + Français (Débutant)

Hi Robbie...
    ¿Do you remembre "dragostea din tei" lyric? ...
    I ever couldn't find the translation into Spanish ... not even into English!
    So, it's hard finding somebody who speaks Romanian in my country...

I apreciate your help a lot!

best regards.

Zareza

Romanian
    The reason why I'm against it, is because you look down on the person you're saying it to (este foarte taranesc!). "Gagici" is like saying "hey you woman", it's too primitve for me.

Fortunately, the peasants do not use the word "gagică".
    (țărănesc = in a peasant way)
    I think you wanted to write "vulgarly".