1. Porteño Senior Member

    Buenos Aires
    British English
    Can anybody tell me what the 'squiggle' above the 'n' is called?:)
  2. Bienvenidos

    Bienvenidos Senior Member

    Tilde in English.

    Tilde in Spanish can also mean acento.
  3. gonza_arg Senior Member

    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    (Del dim. de vírgula).
    1. f. Signo ortográfico de forma de coma, rasguillo o trazo; p. ej., el apóstrofo, la cedilla, la tilde de la ñ, etc.

    Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados
  4. Porteño Senior Member

    Buenos Aires
    British English
    Many thanks, Bienvenidos and gonza_arg
  5. Tomby

    Tomby Senior Member

    Along the Via Augusta
    I disagree with you. The peculiar sign "~" above the "n" isen't a squiggle. It is named "tilde" in Spanish or "til" in Portuguese. In English is "tilde". Example: caña.
    The Spanish language has only the acute accent (´), which is used if the stress is laid on any other syllable than the general rules of prosody would lead one to expect.
    Examples: "árbol", "libro" (without accent), "balcón".

    Postscript: It is an ampersand (&) a "squiggle" or an English sign that means "and"? ;)
  6. Loob

    Loob Senior Member

    English UK
    Calm down, Tombatossals:D . "Squiggle" in English doesn't have any bad connotations, it just means a wavy line!

    So: no, an ampersand isn't a squiggle, it's not wavy enough...

    Goodnight ~&^*>

  7. Porteño Senior Member

    Buenos Aires
    British English
    Thanks, Loob for so neatly stepping in and avoiding a fracas!!!
  8. Jellby

    Jellby Senior Member

    Spanish (Spain)
    In Spanish, both "tilde" and "virgulilla" are correct and used.

    However "tilde" and "acento" are also used for the accent markin the stress, as in "á". So "tilde" can be ambiguous... but it's usually clear from the context.

Share This Page