ó (o con tilde)

Luchadorconan

English - United States
Greetings,

If I want to spell out a word with an o with an accent mark, I say "o con tilde". Is there a more natural way to say it? Would it be "u con diaresis" for ü?

Thank you!

Conan

• Roberto_Mendoza

Spanish - México
    That's a pretty natural way to say it, in my view. In Mexico at least, it's probably a little more common to say "o (or whatever vowel) con acento", instead of "tilde", but obviously everyone understands both. I don't know how it is in other countries.

lauranazario

Moderatrix
    Español puertorriqueño & US English
    That's a pretty natural way to say it, in my view. In Mexico at least, it's probably a little more common to say "o (or whatever vowel) con acento", instead of "tilde" [...] . I don't know how it is in other countries.
    In Puerto Rico we say "o con acento" as well.

Saludos,
    LN

Luchadorconan

English - United States
    I appreciate it! I was taught not to use the word accent when speaking of a written accent mark, but of course what is taught in classrooms doesn't always reflect what is commonly used.

gato radioso

spanish-spain
    I appreciate it! I was taught not to use the word accent when speaking of a written accent mark, but of course what is taught in classrooms doesn't always reflect what is commonly used.
    Well, we´re also been taught that "acento" is the stress you put in a syllable when you speak and "tilde" is a graphic mark of that when you write.
    But most of us don´t obey that rule, we usually call "acento" the written mark, saying only "tilde" when you have to be more accurate or formal.

< Previous | Next >