αλφαβητάριο or αλφαβητάρι;

Apollodorus

English UK
What is the difference between αλφαβητάριο and αλφαβητάρι (reading primer)?

And what are the words used in a traditional Greek αλφαβητάριο?

I’ve found some online articles on an Aλφαβητάριο by Giannely and Sakka that was apparently in use between 1956 and 1978. But they seem to give incomplete info and I’m not sure how this αλφαβητάριο compares to earlier, more traditional versions, like the Μέγα Αλφαβιτάριον of Michael Papa-Georgiou.

Also, why is it sometimes “το αλφάβητο” and other times “η αλφαβήτα”?

• Αγγελος

Greek
    "What is the difference between αλφαβητάριο and αλφαβητάρι (reading primer)?"
    None. Both mean precisely what you say.
    To my mind, they evoke a book with the letters of the alphabet exemplified as initials of words, accompanied by drawings to help fix them in the child's mind, like this:
    1619041147969.png

I don't know that there is a standard set of pictures associated with the letters.

As for αλφάβητο versus αλφαβήτα, the former is the standard term and the latter is mostly used in connection with children or illiterates learning the alphabet (μαθαίνουν την αλφαβήτα, from the way they would recite it: άλφα, βήτα, γάμμα, δέλτα...)

Apollodorus

English UK
    Apparently, the αλφαβητάρια used to be hand-written and Papa-Georgiou was the first to introduce a printed one in 1771 that was used in Greek schools even outside Greece (Bulgaria, Romania, etc.).

That’s why I thought maybe there was a standard set of words used for the letters of the alphabet. It would have been interesting to know what the words were at that time. Obviously, it couldn’t have been “A – Aεροπλάνο”, “U – Uπολογιστής” etc. like some examples that you find online.

But thanks, anyway. The αλφαβήτα clarification is very helpful.

Αγγελος

Greek
    By the way, may I ask where you got your "Alogo" and "Vodi" examples from?
    I made them up. I tried to think of short, easy words beginning with an A and a B, whose meaning could easily be represented by a drawing. (The drawings I simply looked for in Google images.) I do have faint recollections of an old αλφαβητάριο I had as a five-year old, which showed a picture of a donkey (Όνος) for the letter O -- a rather strange choice, as the word όνος is not used in ordinary speech and is certainly not part of a five-year-old's vocabulary.