Бумага?

< Previous | Next >

Apa2001

English, as spoken in New Joisey
Can the word Бумага mean "documents"? Would a police officer say this in asking for ID? Does it only refer to paper?

• NiNulla

Russian - Abroad
    Can the word Бумага mean "documents"? Would a police officer say this in asking for ID? Does it only refer to paper?
    I think so, but in plural: "Ваши бумаги в порядке, проходите."

grinski

Russian
    I think "бумаги" is rather informal and refer to sheets of paper like contracts, permissions, official documents (including IDs).
    "Паспорт" is more common what they would ask to see.

Ptak

Rußland
    As NiNulla said, it can be plural "бумаги". I'd like to add that it would sound slightly out-dated today.

Apa2001

English, as spoken in New Joisey
    Thanks for the great replies. I didn't know, if a Russian would say this. I saw it in a movie. I remember being asked for документы.

Ptak

Rußland
    Thanks for the great replies. I didn't know, if a Russian would say this. I saw it in a movie. I remember being asked for документы.
    If events in the movie took place in the 18th-19th century, it is exactly what should be said, "бумаги".

Guliver

Banned
    Ukranian
    I suppose that sometimes "бумаги" can really mean "documents", but the word isn't used too often in this context especially in formal speech like in newspapers, jourmals, etc. Saying "Ваши бумаги в порядке", a person really wants to convey the idea that everything is alright with the documents or with the papers he has checked or looked through. I remember driving along an avenue with my friend (he was the driver) and we were stopped by a policeman who asked us to produce the driving licence and car insurance. After we had done that he examined everything very carefully and concluded that "Ваши бумаги в порядке". Some of those "бумаги" were really documents (driving licence, car insurance, etc.), but some were papers. so that's an example where "бумаги" has been used collectively in real life.

< Previous | Next >