Бумажный день

< Previous | Next >

cablino

English (American)
Посмотрел серия Глухар, один милицонир пришел к начальник и спросил (когда начальник писал) "бумажная ден?"

Я понимаю смысле, но как мы можем переводить этот выражений на английском? Звучит так, Paper-work day?

• Saluton

Banned
    Russian
    Посмотрел серию "Глухаря", один милиционер пришёл к начальнику и спросил (когда начальник писал): "Бумажный день?"

Я понимаю смысл, но как можно перевести это выражение на английский? "paper-work day"?
    Да, правильно. Вообще-то, если вы понимаете смысл, вам лучше знать, как перевести на английский :)

cablino

English (American)
    Но звучить странно на английском, есть ли у вас профессиональные вариант?

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    Но звучить странно на английском, есть ли у вас профессиональный вариант?
    What do you mean by "профессиональный вариант"?

Saluton's point is valid: you do, in fact, understand the meaning correctly and you ARE the native English speaker here, so how do you expect us to tell you what expression is there in English to best match to "бумажный день" in Russian?

Also, this is not really a pro terminology, it is just the way the character in the play put it figuratively. "Бумажный день" - "день, когда приводятся в порядок бумаги" - "the day when you take care of your paperwork ".

I would use "paperwork day". Examples from Google:

I hate paperwork day, so here's He-Man, Bollywood ........
    Yay, another paperwork day. Turning the OCD up to 11,....

Sounds quite English for me......

cablino

English (American)
    I am hoping for someone experienced in translation, because paperwork-day is not a common expression in English and translates strangely. Maybe someone who is also a native English speaker. However, I may be out of luck to find such responses on these forums.

Maybe this is not common in Russian either, and should be translated to fit oddly?

Saluton

Banned
    Russian
    Correct, "бумажный день" is not common, it's an occasionalism. If you don't want the translation to be an occasionalism, too, it can be descriptive, like "the day when you (have to) take care of your papers". In the context, I would put it as "Lots of papers?" or "Can't get rid of papers?"

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >