Волчок or юла?

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by marco_2, Nov 1, 2013.

  1. marco_2 Senior Member

    Hello everybody,

    I was taught at school that a spinning top is called волчок in Russian, but I noticed in our new textbooks that the authors prefer the word юла. Which of these two words do you use more often - has волчок become obsolete?
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  2. rusita preciosa

    rusita preciosa Modus forendi

    USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    I don't know if волчок is obsolete, but it is sounds old-fashioned to me - I only encountered it in books; I'd say, юла is a normal, everyday word for spinning top.
  3. marco_2 Senior Member

    I see - so I must change my language habits. Thank you, rusita preciosa!
  4. willem81 Senior Member

    According to the wikipedia article юла is a particular case of волчок:

    So, волчок is a more general term. Also note that in theoretical mechanics there is a term прецессия волчка, where it cannot be substituted by юла.
    There are also some phraseologic expressions with this word, e.g. крутиться волчком.

    is a kind of волчок which has the inner mechanism, whereas generally волчок does not necessarily have to have it. Thus, strictly speaking, юла and волчок are not the same thing.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013

Share This Page