В зубах дымится честер, подруги знают место

uKoda

English, New Zealand
Hi,
I'm learning Russian and have a healty collection of Звери songs I enjoy. I have been collect and creating translations of the lyrics but there are about 15 to 20 words, from 27 songs, that I couldn't translate. I guess they may be slang or mis-spelt? I won't put them all up or else this would get a bit long a first post ;-) I welcome any suggestion of their meaning in English, hopefully none are offensive.

дамится честер in "В зубах дамится честер,подруги знают место"

Thanks

• uKoda

English, New Zealand
    Ukoda, take a good advice and give up on Звери and the ilk, if you ever want to speak Russian:).

Fair comment. I'm mainly using books and my Russian and Ukrainan friends as my source of learning but found Звери music very catchy and was singing along to it :eek: The problem is a felt a bit stupid to be singing along to something which I had no idea what it meant, hence my desire to translate them.

I'm remined of my time in Zaporizhzhia where very few people spoke English but all tee shirts were English and I wonder how many knew what statements they we actually making ;)

Fair comment. I'm mainly using books and my Russian and Ukrainan friends as my source of learning but found Звери music very catchy and was singing along to it :eek: The problem is a felt a bit stupid to be singing along to something which I had no idea what it meant, hence my desire to translate them.

I'm remined of my time in Zaporizhzhia where very few people spoke English but all tee shirts were English and I wonder how many knew what statements they we actually making ;)

Oh yes!!! I saw that in Japan! I believe there is even a book dedicated to this issue. But, you see, the language that such bands use....you might have to face the fact that not many Russians can translate it themselves. It is so "marginal", used only by certain, very limited groups of youth and sometimes these word combinations are not actually aimed at being understood with regard to some practical sense. They are there to express "the flight of soul or fancy" as they put it, the psychological state and the associations it brings. A bit like abstract art.:)

uKoda

English, New Zealand
    The same could be said of many English band lyrics, and some of the Зверп translations I have done make little sence leaving me unsure if it's just the lyrics or a poor translation job I have done ;)

cyanista

законодательница мод
    NRW
    Belarusian/Russian
    uKoda, I had a look at Zveri's lyrics and I can only echo S_Charm: give up on them, they're crap. :thumbsdown: But the idea of learning a language through lyrics is actually not that bad and always worked for me.