Даже vs аж

George1992

Hi!

I have seen a video on Facebook and there is a description like this under it.

Самый экстремальный спуск на горных лыжах, что мы видели. Даже от просмотра дух захватывает.

I have two questions.

1. Can I substitute что for какой? So -> ..., какой мы видели.
2. Does Даже mean the same as Аж? Or does it mean "Even"? I think it's Аж, but I am not sure at all.

• Sobakus

1. You can, but it sounds rare and restrained. A more expressive and frequent usage is «какой (subj.) только», it's still higher style than «что».
    2. I'm struggling to explain the relation between аж and даже – I guess the main point is that аж intensifies verbal and adverbial meanings while даже can also intensify nominal meanings as well, which makes the latter closer to the English even. My rough guestimate is they are only interchangeable in half the cases (not in your example, as the noun просмотр is being stressed there). Note that аж is not the standard, literary word – that's даже.

Last edited:

Q-cumber

Hi!

I have seen a video on Facebook and there is a description like this under it.

Самый экстремальный спуск на горных лыжах, что мы видели. Даже от просмотра дух захватывает.

I have two questions.

2. Does Даже mean the same as Аж? Or does it mean "Even"? I think it's Аж, but I am not sure at all.
    Hi!
    1. No, you can't. Such a wording doesn't sound well. But please be aware that the original sentence isn't that stylistically perfect either. ...из всех (тех).... before "что" is missing (omitted).
    2. Даже от просмотра means kinda ''just looking at (it is thrilling)"

If we reword the sentence a little -" даже дух захватывает, когда смотришь на этот спуск" , "аж" would fit in it seamlessly. But in the original variant "даже" has another meaning and function. That's why is can't be replaced with "аж".

Last edited:

Rosett

Russian
    Самый экстремальный спуск на горных лыжах, что мы видели.

"Самый экстремальный спуск на горных лыжах (из всех), какие мы видели",
    or "...(из того), что...".
    The omission in brackets makes it colloquial.

Last edited:

Sobakus

Lol :) True. But we should recover the high-style version first in order to analyse it.
    Oh, I see what you mean, but I have an objection to this as well: I don't think they are the same construction. Let's take the какой that you so unfairly dismissed as a reference:

Самый экстремальный спуск, что/какой мы видели. (какие)
    Самые экстремальные ребята, что/каких мы видели. (кого/какие)
    Самый экстремальный спуск из всех, что/какие мы видели. (какой)
    Самые экстремальные ребята из всех, что/кого мы видели. (какие/каких)

In the short version, the relative pronoun какой agrees in number as well as in animacy with the noun phrase.
    In the expanded version, it always takes the plural in agreement with the pronoun всех, while the lexical item itself changes depending on animacy (кого/какие), even though this is properly stylistic.
    My conclusion is thus that the two are grammatically separate: the former is not a case of ellipsis of the latter. Ushakov too sees it as a separate meaning of the standalone pronoun что:

6. относительное. Употр. в знач. “который” в им. и вин. любого рода и числа (устар., разг.). «Старый дуб, что посажен отцом.» Некрасов. «Где насекомые, что так разнообразно жужжали в траве?» Гончаров.«Вот подарок тебе, что давно посулил.» А. Кольцов. «Не из тех ли только он бездушных, что в столицемного встретишь ты?» Некрасов. Спой мне песню ту, что пел ты в хате лесника. Полонский.

A note on his definition: it's in no way obsolete or colloquial when paired with the adjective самый.

Last edited:

Rosett

Russian
    Let's take the какой that you so unfairly dismissed as a reference:

Самый экстремальный спуск, что/какой мы видели. (какие)
    A colloquial "Самый экстремальный спуск, какие мы видели" cannot be dismissed like that.

< Previous | Next >