За вчерашнее

< Previous | Next >

PorFavorDama

Turkish
Hi everyone,

Could you please explain me what the exact meaning of "Вчерашний" is in this sentence below and the function it has?
Он пришёл просить прощения за вчерашнее.
I think it is declined as nominative-neuter.
Could it be that, "вчерашнее" actually modifies "the thing happened" but as it is understood also in this way, there was no need to use the noun?

Thank you in advance!

• makwaft

Russian-Russia
    Good evening! The phrase за вчерашнее here means, in other words, за то, что он сделал/сказал вчера or just за то, что произошло вчера. So in English, I guess, it would sound like "He came to apologize for what he had done yesterday"

PorFavorDama

Turkish
    Good evening! The phrase за вчерашнее here means, in other words, за то, что он сделал/сказал вчера or just за то, что произошло вчера. So in English, I guess, it would sound like "He came to apologize for what he had done yesterday"
    Firstly, thank you! So instead of using a verb could we use "вчерашнее происшествие"?
    By the way, "происшествие" was the only word that I could find as a neuter noun please correct me if I am wrong. :)

Only the subject of the sentence can be in Nominative, but the subject here is он. Вчерашнее is the object in the form of the substantivated adjective in Accusative.
    Thank you! Actually there were three cases to be used with "за". One was not appropriate, then I had to guess between two so I took my chances and thought it was in nominative just like in english "for something" but that was not really logical. :)

PorFavorDama

Turkish
    I'm sorry for (my wrongdoing) yesterday. "Прости за вчерашнее " is an idiomatic expression.
    Sorry for spamming.
    So can't we use that adjective with any other noun?
    Could you please take a look at my answer that is written for Makwaft.
    Thank you! :)

Q-cumber

Sorry for spamming.
    So can't we use that adjective with any other noun?
    Could you please take a look at my answer that is written for Makwaft.
    Thank you! :)
    In the context provided "вчерашнее" is the noun itself (very much like "хорошее" or "плохое" - we had been discussing this topic a while ago). However, you can use the adjective "вчерашний" (related to yesterday) with a noun: "прости за мой вчерашний дебош / вчерашнюю ссору / вчерашнее происшествие and so on.

PorFavorDama

Turkish
    In the context provided "вчерашнее" is the noun itself (very much like "хорошее" or "плохое" - we had been discussing this topic a while ago). However, you can use the adjective "вчерашний" (related to yesterday) with a noun: "прости за мой вчерашний дебош / вчерашнюю ссору / вчерашнее происшествие and so on.
    Oh, yes exactly! Now I recall everything, so it is another example like those ones, thank you. :)

Maroseika

Russian
    So instead of using a verb could we use "вчерашнее происшествие"?
    Neuter form of вчерашнее doesn't obligatorily means that some neuter noun is missed. In contrary, most likely this form is used for generalization, so that no concrete noun can be put. Вчерашнее is just "то, что случилось вчера" (то is also Neuter, by quite the same reason).
    I took my chances and thought it was in nominative just like in english "for something"
    Actually English "for something" is also the object in English (not subject), and as such it is not in Nominative.

PorFavorDama

Turkish
    Neuter form of вчерашнее doesn't obligatorily means that some neuter noun is missed. In contrary, most likely this form is used for generalization, so that no concrete noun can be put. Вчерашнее is just "то, что случилось вчера" (то is also Neuter, by quite the same reason).

Actually English "for something" is also the object in English (not subject), and as such it is not in Nominative.
    Thank you so much, that makes everything clear. :)

< Previous | Next >