Играй так, чтобы зритель забыл свою родную мамочку!

< Previous | Next >

IrinaD

Russian
Нужно перевести следующую фразу на американский английский:

Играй лучше! Играй так, чтобы зритель забыл свою родную мамочку!

(Действие происходит на следующей площадке.)

Мой вариант: Act better! Act so that viwer forgot his own mother!

Это слишком дословно. Как можно получше перевести?

• LilianaB

Banned
    Lithuanian
    I would say so that the viewer, or audience, would forget their own mother. There might be some other phrase, but I can't think of any right now.

LilianaB

Banned
    Lithuanian
    Yes, the standard form of the idiom is it will blow your mind. Some people say It will blow your mind off. Maybe they confuse it with it will knock your socks off, almost the same thing.

IrinaD

Russian
    Спасибо за помощь. А как правильнее сказать, act или play?

rusita preciosa

Modus forendi
    Russian (Moscow)
    I actually thionk that, if you want to keep the the 'tone' of the sentence, in your case, there is nothing worng with not using an established English expression and instead just translate almost literally.
    Act better. Act so that the audience forget(s) who their mama is!

(whether to use forget or forgets is up to you: if it is normal speech, forgets is better; for more 'refined"/ old-fashioned speech use subjunctive forget).

Last edited:

LilianaB

Banned
    Lithuanian
    Hi, Rusita. I thought you meant "play" cannot be used as an intransitive verb, that's all. This is what it really looked like. Is the piece about a play rehearsal or shooting a movie? This may also make a difference.

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    We can avoid the act versus play dilemma by using a more general verb relating to "performing" or "doing". Assuming this is a stage or film director giving his actors a pep talk in colloquial language, I think any of the following would be okay. Although the Russian is comparative (лучше), not superlative (найлучше), I think the director still wants the actors to perform as well as they can (the best), so:

Give it all you've got, make your/the audience forget their own mother(s). (The simplest construction make someone do something avoids a clumsy subjunctive)

(Always) give it your best (shot/effort), make your/the audience forget their own mother(s).
    (Depending on the context, which we don't have, always may be justified, since it's imperfective (играй - act always, in general, "do your acting" as well as you can), not perfective (сыграй - act/play this particular role, act/play this particular scene now - and in any case I think the object of сыграй would have to be stated or implied).

Make it sing, make your/the audience forget their own mother(s).
    This phrase make it sing is very useful. It usually has nothing to do with singing. It means bring it alive, make it exciting/convincing to your listener or reader. It can be used when you are in any kind of public-speaking role, if you are writing a report or newsletter, or even acting/playing a part in a film/movie.

Last edited:

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    It's not a standard idiom, but I think it's quite understandable. If the theatre director is trying to be original and maybe avoid clichе́s, the image works for me. I certainly wouldn't quibble with "blow their minds". That's used a lot. It would be good if we had been told what sort of register the OP is aiming for and what the director is directing - serious drama or a spaghetti western.

IrinaD

Russian
    Вот контекст:

АКТЁР-СОЛДАТ отжимается, над ним стоит СЕРЖАНТ и орёт на него.

СЕРЖАНТ
    Это тебе не театр! Это грёбаный кинематограф! Играй лучше! Играй так, чтобы зритель забыл свою родную мамочку! Я повыбиваю из тебя всё дер…

Актёр-Солдат перестаёт отжиматься и встаёт, словно он здесь главный. Но, собственно, так и оказывается.

АКТЁР-СОЛДАТ
    Нет-нет-нет. Стоп. Не верю. Больше жести, ты же старый прожжённый вояка, мы обсуждали твой бэкграунд.

< Previous | Next >