Искать кого-то в: used with accusative or prepositional?

Melissa0106

UK
German
Добрый вечер,

Apologies for writing this in English, but I don't have a Cyrillic keyboard. Could a native speaker please confirm the correct use of case (accusative or prepositive) in the above construction?
Assume the sentence to be something along the lines of:
"I was looking for a doctor in one of my companies." - "Я искала врача в одной из моих компаний."
As a non-native speaker my feeling is that this should be correct rather than "... в одну ..."

Спасибо большое,

• rusita preciosa

Modus forendi
    Russian (Moscow)
    It could be either:

I was looking for a doctor in one of my companies (kind of a strange context, you have several companies where there could be a doctor and you were looking for a doctor in one of them) - Я искала врача в одной из моих компаний

I was looking for a doctor for one of my companies (you have several companies, one of which needs a doctor and you were looking for him/her) - Я искала врача в одну из моих компаний

Melissa0106

UK
    German
    Great, thanks, that clarifies it. It is actually the second context.
    Is the use of the accusative here based on 'direction' - i.e. I am looking for a doctor to go (and work) into one of my companies?

Sobakus

Great, thanks, that clarifies it. It is actually the second context.
    Is the use of the accusative here based on 'direction' - i.e. I am looking for a doctor to go (and work) into one of my companies?
    It's less about physical movement and more about purpose as well as about being the only other option after excluding the Prepositional as expressing an entirely incompatible meaning.

Rosett

Russian
    A more conventional (and less confusing for a non-native) way to express it would be:
    «Я искала врача для работы / на работу в одной из моих компаний».
    Otherwise, it would sound ambiguously in Standard Russian or too colloquial (substandard.)

Vovan

Russian
    I partly agree with Rosett, but I consider this usage okay in everyday business talk. "Искать" actually means "звать, приглашать (на работу)" in these contexts..
    Ищем девушку (куда?) на замещение должности администратора игрового зала.
    Ищем сотрудника (куда?) в отдел рекламы.
    Syntactically, we can (sometimes) safely consider the Accusative phrase as relating not to the verb but to its object.
    С девушкой в отдел рекламы пока мы не разговаривали, она ждёт в коридоре.
    Детали на замену мы пока не нашли.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >