Како́й но́мер у её автомоби́ля?

< Previous | Next >

Anita hk

Hong Kong Chinese
Како́й но́мер у её автомоби́ля? - What is the number of her car?
Will it be also correct to say Како́й но́мер её автомобиль?
When should I use the construction у + genitive and when to use мой / его / её ... when I want to say my / his / her ?
Thanks in advance.

• Rosett

Russian
    «Какой номер её машины/автомобиля?»
    «Какой номер у её машины/автомобиля?»
    Both are correct.

HotIcyDonut

Russian - Russia
    No. Unless you add имеет between номер and её. Then it will be correct.

When should I use the construction у + genitive and when to use мой / его / её ... when I want to say my / his / her ?
    Thanks in advance.
    Feel free to use:

1) у + genitive (the possessed) + the possessor

Какой номер у её автомобиля?

2) same but without у

Какой номер её автомобиля?

3) nominal (the possessed) + correspondingly conjugated verb иметь (number/gender/tense) + the possessor

Какой номер имеет её автомобиль?

You might also turn the possessed into your actor by using a reflexive verbal suffix -ся (one might say it's sort of passive), verb must still be accordingly conjugated. The possessor must be in genitive with у:

Какой номер имеется у её автомобиля?

So like 1) but with addable иметься.

Might sound weird in some contexts and totally natural in others, I don't know how to deduce the rule or what it depends on, so I advice against this option. Иметься seems to be always droppable whenever you see it in such sentences. In this sentence, it sounds okay.

Last edited:

Anita hk

Hong Kong Chinese
    Thanks Rosett and HoticyDonut.
    HoticyDonut, I don't quite follow what you mean by the possessed and the possessor in the examples. Is автомобиль the possessor and номер the possessed? But in example 1), автомобиля is in genitive. And why isn't it неё in 1) given that её comes after the preposition у ?

Awwal12

Russian
    Note that while "у неё дом какой номер?" is at least potentially possible in colloquial language (although it isn't good literary Russian), it won't do with car plates anyway, because here "the number" doesn't really refer to an ordinal number in some group of cars, but rather means just an identificational sequence, making genitive and possessive relationships (номер автомобиля, номер у автомобиля) the only grammatical possibility.
    Какой номер имеет её автомобиль?
    On a sidenote: "иметь" = quite formal stylistics.
    Какой номер имеется у её автомобиля?

So like 1) but with addable иметься.

Might sound weird in some contexts and totally natural in others
    I struggle to imagine one, frankly. Normally, "иметься" means "to be in actual possession; to exist somewhere".

Andrew &RU

Russian - Moscow
    Како́й но́мер у её автомоби́ля? - What is the number of her car?
    Thanks in advance.
    Our idea is correct to neglect ‘y’.
    But when you have ‘OF’ (number OF her car), you must use genitive: номер автомобиля
    Како́й но́мер её автомобиля?

«у»
    means “to have”. Use it in this case.
    Како́й но́мер её автомобиля?
    What is the number of her car?

Or with y:
    Како́й но́мер у её автомобиля?
    What number has her car?

As you see, it doesn’t look official. This construction is more about people.

This one looks better:
    Како́й автомобиль у неё?
    What car does she have?

Notice
    , within ‘y construction’ in Russian what once’s has is a subject and who has is in dative

< Previous | Next >