Наконец (parenthetical word)

< Previous | Next >

kilo99

French
I know that commas should be here: "Он спортсмен, инженер, художник и наконец настоящий друг"
But I'm dubious about commas before "И" and before and after "Наконец", shall I put them here?
Is sentence "Он спортсмен, инженер, художник, и, наконец, настоящий друг" right?

• Vovan

Russian
    Is sentence "Он спортсмен, инженер, художник, и, наконец, настоящий друг" right?
    Yes. Except for the comma before "и".

As for the commas before and after "наконец", they are in place.:thumbsup: The word is not enclosed in commas only when it means "at the end" regarding a sequence of events.

Maroseika

Russian
    Just to add: when enumerating, conjunction и substitutes comma, so no need to use them together. But comma should be used before и when it joins parts of the complex sentence (each having its own subject and predicate), e.g.:
    Он спортсмен, инженер, художник, и, наконец, он настоящий друг.

Novato veterano

English American
    I realize this is an old thread, but I'm curious as to the English translation of наконец in the last example. If I understand the context correctly, would it be equivalent to and last but not least, implying that, although it's the last item in the enumerated list, among all the qualities mentioned, the speaker wants to emphasize that it is not the least in importance?

Maroseika

Russian
    No, I don't think so. I'd rather say this is rather chararcteristic of the different "register" or "measurement system". Like inthis example, where the first three are professions and the last one - to personality feauture.
    Cf.:
    - Почему ты не взял его на работу?
    - Он слабо проявил себя на интервью, у него нет рекомендаций. Наконец (и вообще), у него были грязные ногти.
    I'd say this и вообще is the colloquial analog of the more bookish наконец (inthis context).

< Previous | Next >