Нет отрасли промышленности

turkjey5

English - USA
Нет отрасли промышленности, для которой освоение космического пространства не оказалось бы полезным. (Izvestiya)

Как бы вы это перевели?'
Заранее спасибо большое!

• Awwal12

Russian
    "There is no branch of industry where space development wouldn't be useful (would be useless)."
    Something like that. But I think that you as the native American should know better. ;)
    Maybe you can propose some other translation?

turkjey5

English - USA
    "There is no branch of industry where space development wouldn't be useful (would be useless)."
    Something like that. But I think that you as the native American should know better. ;)
    Maybe you can propose some other translation?
    The part I'm wondering about is не оказалось бы
    My text says:
    There is no industry which has not benefitted from the conquest of space.

This makes it sound like the conquest of space is an accomplished fact, whereas my understanding of this type of construction (не оказалось бы) would be:

There is no sector of industry that would not benefit from the conquest of space.

In other words, the conquest of space hasn't occurred yet.

Awwal12

Russian
    Well, you can also say "the further conquest" ("There is no sector of industry that would not benefit from the further conquest of space."). The conquest of space is just considered here as a continuous process, not as some event; and the sentence just tells about possible benefits of this process in future.

Axel_Carvalho

Russian, Ukrainian
    The part I'm wondering about is не оказалось бы
    My text says:
    There is no industry which has not benefitted from the conquest of space.

This makes it sound like the conquest of space is an accomplished fact, whereas my understanding of this type of construction (не оказалось бы) would be:

There is no sector of industry that would not benefit from the conquest of space.

In other words, the conquest of space hasn't occurred yet.
    Hi, the piece you have quoted gives us no idea of the time. The translation will depend on the context of the article, on the authors point of view. If the author cites benefits which already exist, then your translation is correct, otherwise it would read something like "would/will/may benefit".

Освоение космоса is a continuous action, not a fact, so "exploration" would suit here better.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >