Нечего и говорить, что они делались за свой счет...

yuna1207

French - Belgium
Hi, can you help me understand this sentence please:

it's about a writer describing what he had to do to be able to publish his books and talking about his publisher.

Нечего и говорить, что они делались за свой счет, а он был вовсе не жирен. Проще- денег не было ни гроша.

There is nothing to say, they did that with his money but he wasn't rich at all. Actually he was totally broke

Thanks for your help

• estreets

Russian
    Maybe,
    It goes without saying (il va de soi) they (books?) were made for his account,
    the meaning of the rest is rather correct. I would think он would mean that account here which was not so big but these are just nuances.
    Simply said, he was totally broke.

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    Maybe,
    It goes without saying (il va de soi) they (books?) were made for his account,
    the meaning of the rest is rather correct. I would think он would mean that account here which was not so big but these are just nuances.
    Simply said, he was totally broke.
    Нечего и говорить, что они делались за свой счет, а он был вовсе не жирен. Проще- денег не было ни гроша.

they were made at his expense ....

estreets

Russian

С his expense не вставить "он был вовсе не жирен". ;) Приходится выбирать другие варианты.

kt07

Russia
    I think you can translate it directly:
    Нечего и говорить = it's needless to say, they...

Ben Jamin

Polish

I do not understand this translation. If we assume that они relates to books, then "они делались за свой счет" would mean "they (the books) were made at their own expense". It they were made at author's expense it would be "они делались за его счет". Isn't it so?

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    No it isn't so.

"За свой счет" - a stable expression signifying something done at the expense of whoever is the person in question.

"Отпуск будет взят за свой счет" - the person in question (in this sentence - implied) will take an unpaid leave of absence. (at his own expense).

< Previous | Next >