Оттенок чувств

< Previous | Next >

Bretanananaluski

English - United States of America
стихотоврение от поэмы "Посвящение N. N." Михайла Лермотнова
"Оттенок чувств тебе несу я в дар."
A couple questions

"Оттенок" translates to tinge, nuance, tint, hue, etc.. And telling someone that they have such a small amount of feelings sounds more insulting than devotional, as "Dedication to N. N." implies.

I'm not sure what the "в" is used here for. "дар" isn't in the prepositional case, so the phrase "in a gift" isn't correct. Then I thought maybe "в" is used for "bring to you," but that also would cause "тебя," instead of the dative form. The most likely option is that "в" is used as in English as "as a gift" or "for a gift." If this is the case, I must also ask whether there's a difference between the use of "в+accusative" and "как+nominative."

So the closest in English to which I can hastily produce (with my limited skills) is "As a gift I bring you a tinge of feelings."

If I'm totally wrong, please let me know. If anyone has a better explanation of the semantics or grammatical rules here, I'm all ears.

If anyone would like me to post the whole poem, I can do that, as it's not very long, but I'm just tripped up on this line grammatically.

Спасибо большое!

• Maroseika

Russian
    стихотворение от поэмы "Посвящение N. N." Михаила Лермонтова
    You probably meant отрывок (строчка) из поэмы? "Стихотворение от поэмы" literally means "A rhyme from a poem".
    Оттенок here means trace, tint, i.e. something resembling that feeling. So nothing insulting.
    By the way, the previous line of the poem is: "Вот, друг, плоды моей небрежной музы!". Since his muse is slipshod, his poem can reproduce not the whole feeling, but just its shadow, trace.

В дар - today we usually say в подарок. This is the same construction as in брать в жены, идти в солдаты, баллотироваться в президенты. It has been already discussed here:
    баллотироваться + ?
    в сыновья
    идти в гости
    So нести в дар means something like "bring as a gift". If you want to ask more about this subject, please open a new thread or ask in one of the old threads.

Last edited:

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Hi Bretanananaluski, as I read it, you are pretty much on the right track, but I think the writer is referring to his own feelings. As "I" (несу я) is clearly the subject of the sentence, the feelings "default" back to him, and I would understand оттенок to mean shade, hint, tone or - in a slightly looser sense (it's poetry after all) - "the gist" of my feelings, and (при)нести в дар is an idiom meaning to present someone with something, make someone a gift of something.

So the sense, as I read it, is I gift to you this indication/intimation/token of my feelings, but my own небрежная муза seems to have deserted me for the moment, so I'll leave you to ponder something a bit more elegant.

Would be good to have a native speaker's confirmation (or otherwise) that the "speaker" in the poem is referring to his own feelings.

Bretanananaluski

I agree with you, Enquiring Mind, that it is his own feelings. I saw this as an intimate dedication of affection, much like the last poem of his I attempted to translate ("К Д...ву"). To get a bit meta here, it's him presenting his abstract feelings to this person in the form of this poem as a gift.

I think I understand "(при)нести + в," but I wasn't aware of it being a Russian idiom. I had tripped myself up further by finding the verb governance of "носить/нести/понести" and finding that "в" takes on the prepositional (I carried something on my shoulders), or the directional accusative "I carried something to..." before looking up other ways "в" can be used, like in the idiom, and which related back to my comparison with "как."

I gotta say, though. I know Russian is considerably more condensed than English is, but maybe I should switch my game and focus on short stories instead of poems. Maybe it would be a bit more straightforward for my level right now.

Either way, thank you so much for all the info and insight!

rusita preciosa

Modus forendi
    Russian (Moscow)
    While I agree that there is nothing outright insulting in the oттенок чувств, the poet does make a point to say that he didn't give much thought/feeling writing to his former friend, even his muse was nonchalant in inspiring him for that poem.

As for the preposition в, it is not governed by нести. B дар is a set expression. Compare with:
    сказать в ответ - say in response
    принести в жертву - sacrifice
    принять в дар - accept as a gift

Last edited:

Bretanananaluski

I agree. Even the next couple lines almost seem like strikes against the person, and that the whole poem itself takes on a possibly sarcastic tone noticeable to even a non-native speaker.

< Previous | Next >