Пеппа любит прыгать и скакать в лужах.

vidar

UK
English - England
Пеппа любит прыгать по лужам.
Пеппа любит прыгать и скакать в лужах.

What do these two sentences mean and how do they differ?

My translation for both is the same except the second has 'и скакать' in there too. - 'Peppa loves jumping in puddles.' + 'Peppa loves jumping and hopping/skipping in puddles.'

Please note i'm not looking for a grammar explanation, just a meaning-based explanation.

• Vovan

Russian
    "Ходить по лужам" is highly idiomatic and means "to step in puddles":
    Дети любят ходить по лужам.
    "Прыгать и скакать по лужам" has the same meaning except for the manner of walking. "Прыгать и скакать" is just an expressive set phrase (прыгать = скакать).

"Прыгать и скакать в лужах" doesn't sound idiomatic; it suggests choosing one puddle at a time for jumping wildly in it.

Awwal12

Russian
    "Прыгать в лужах" sounds pretty weird, as if Peppa were totally submerged ("прыгать в луже" would be fine, but that's not quite the same activity, as you can guess). "По лужам" is the idiomatic variant.

vidar

UK
    English - England
    "Прыгать в лужах" sounds pretty weird, as if Peppa were totally submerged ("прыгать в луже" would be fine, but that's not quite the same activity, as you can guess). "По лужам" is the idiomatic variant.
    Thanks a lot for the explanation!

vidar

UK
    English - England
    "Ходить по лужам" is highly idiomatic and means "to step in puddles":
    Дети любят ходить по лужам.
    "Прыгать и скакать по лужам" has the same meaning except for the manner of walking. "Прыгать и скакать" is just an expressive set phrase (прыгать = скакать).

"Прыгать и скакать в лужах" doesn't sound idiomatic; it suggests choosing one puddle at a time for jumping wildly in it.
    Thanks!

Şafak

Пеппа любит прыгать по лужам. (I would say "ходить по лужам").
    Пеппа любит прыгать и скакать по лужам.. (I would still say "ходить по лужам").

В лужах/в луже can be used but in a different situation. Something must be indeed submerged to be "в луже".
    По лужам is used when you say "step on something". You "step on а лужа", that's why the Slavic person from your example likes "stepping on puddles", "walking on puddles" (ходить по лужами). Peppa is smart enough (I assume) not to swim in a puddle (in this case, she would be swimming "в луже").

Cheers.

Awwal12

Russian
    Something must be indeed submerged to be "в луже".
    You surely can "стоять в луже" without any notion of being submerged. "Прыгать" should work too, but normally that would mean just jumping in place.
    When we speak about water pools in plural, however, the situation is a bit different.

Şafak

You surely can "стоять в луже" without any notion of being submerged. "Прыгать" should work too, but normally that would mean just jumping in place.
    When we speak about water pools in plural, however, the situation is a bit different.
    I didn't think about this. Yes, you're right.

nizzebro

Russian
    "По" is about some coordination - in case of motion, with a surface or trajectory.
    "В" in the locative case means, as expected, location and implies enclosure, but, as already noted, not necessarily total - just being within some area (or volume, depending on the noun used).

So, "скакать по лужам" means hopping while moving back and forth along the surface of a puddle (or many puddles, crossing them);
    "скакать в лужах" means hopping while situated within the bounds of a puddle/many puddles, and it is not so natural - as you cannot say for sure, whether this means 'on the spot within a single pool each time' or 'within a specific area that is a pool of pools", especially in case of habitual action. Here, some extra adverbials or context are needed "он любит скакать в лужах - зайдёт в лужу и начинает там прыгать и скакать", "у нас во дворе всегда много луж и он любит прыгать и скакать в этих лужах".

The issue is that these verbs can imply both in-place activity and motion, "по" explicitly marks motion, but "в" doesn't.

Last edited: