Рады вопросам

• Linguoman

Russian - Russia
    Thanks! I'd like to know some examples about рад with dative.
    Yes, "рад" governs a noun in Dative in expressions like "рад чему-то" or "рад кому-то". Some examples:

Мы всегда вам рады. - We are always glad (to see) you.
    Я рад хорошей погоде. - I am glad (because of) the good weather.
    Они были рады этим новостям. - They were glad (to know) these news.

igusarov

Russian
    Perhaps this new question deserves a separate thread... Adding to Linguoman's examples, here are some other ones, where I tried to avoid injecting the verbs into an equivalent English phrase:

"Покупатель рад неожиданной скидке" = "A customer is happy with an unexpected discount".
    "Профессор обрадовался хорошей работе студента" = "Professor is pleased with the good job done by the student". Though "доволен" could be a more precise translation for "is pleased with".
    "Цветы радуются тёплому Солнышку" = "The flowers are enjoying the warm Sun".
    "Здесь вам не рады" =~ "You are persona non-grata here".

In general case, construction "<subject> рад/радуется <object-in-dative>" means that the subject is experiencing the emotion of happiness, and this emotion is caused by the object. In other words, the object is the stimulus for this emotion. Not only "рад", but similar predicates "радоваться", "обрадоваться", "порадоваться" could be used in such construction, and would always use dative.

< Previous | Next >