Разведи огонь

Novato veterano

English American
Валерий Меладзе's song with this title is translated as Light a Fire. However, when I looked up what appears to be the infinitive for this verb (разведать), none of the definitions are to light. Am I looking at the wrong verb infinitive, or is this meaning simply not listed there. Thank you so much in advance.

• Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Hi Nv, an easy enough mistake to make for us foreigners, I suppose, but you've got the wrong verb. Разведи́ is the imperative form of развести́, and the meaning (in this collocation) is "start". Start a fire, light a fire, get a fire started, get a fire lit, get a fire going.

However, in the title of the song here, I'd be inclined to say "light the fire" - the fire that will bring me to you.

The imperative forms of разве́дать are разве́дай/те. [And note that огонь has a soft sign: Разведи́ ого́нь]

Last edited:

alex_s

Russian
    Валерий Меладзе's song with this title is translated as Light a Fire. However, when I looked up what appears to be the infinitive for this verb (разведать), none of the definitions are to light. Am I looking at the wrong verb infinitive, or is this meaning simply not listed there. Thank you so much in advance.
    It is an idiomatic expression. Тhe infinitive is "разводить".

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >