Расчесывать волосы (Accusative?)

Montabella

English-American
Привет!

My intention is to make sure that I am correctly identifying the whether the object is the direct object in the accusative case or indirect object in the dative case. My sample sentence is from Transparent Language word a day (Transparent.com.) They include each word with a sample sentence. Russian Word of the Day

Sample Sentence A:
Расчесывая волосы в душе, вы экономите время.

• Is Время/time is in the Accusative Case? My reasoning is that Время answers the question of what is saved (time.)
  • Is Волосы/hair is in the Dative Case? My reasoning is that Волосы answers the question whom/what is receiving the benefit.
Feel free to correct me if I made mistakes. I'm asking this to gain a deeper understanding of how to identify whether an object is direct or indirect and if it is accusative case or dative.

Thanks so much for your time
Спасибо!

*Update*
I just reviewed my notes on this I realised that an direct object can be either Genitive or Accusative. I also noted that there 5 possible indirect object cases (Genitive, Dative, Accusative, Instrumental, & Prepositional) So I understand if what I thought was an direct object in accusative case could instead be genitive and that there are 4 other possible indirect object cases beside dative.

Last edited:
  • Awwal12

Russian
    Reasoning frequently won't give you a correct government model for a verb, in the first place. The model simply must be memorized together with the verb. In your case the reasoning even contradicts the obvious fact that во́лосы isn't in the dative, since the dative form would be волоса́м, and во́лосы (as an inanimate plural noun) may be in theory either nominative or accusative.

The verb расчёсывать has (almost invariably) во́лосы as a direct accusative object, and if a benefactor (i.e. some other owner of the hair than the subject :)) is present, it will be in the dative (расчёсывать во́лосы кому-л.).

Maroseika

Russian
    Just to add: it would be dative in дать волосам отдохнуть, or твоим волосам нужна стрижка, etc.

< Previous | Next >