Рашевский компрадор

Emil100

Denmark, Danish
I'd like to know what "Рашевский компрадор" refers to.
I assume that "Рашевский" refers to a surname, but I'd be happy if you could explain more of the meaning in this case.

Some context is found here (the two words put in bold):

Тони Бенн, прогрессивный ветеран британских лейбористов, так выразил это: " Пример Кубы интересeн тeм, что эта страна не представляет собой ни малейшей военной угрозы Соединенным Штатам... она представляет собой угрозу только кубинским примером в сфере образования и здравоохранения, которые болезненно для Вашингтона (и Рашевских компрадоров тоже) демонстрируют его собственный крах в этих областях."

• morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    No, I think it is from "Russia", that is "Russian Compradors".

You probably know what "comprador means" (comprador bourgeoisie - merchants dealing with contracting to foreign corporations )

PS. It is "slangy" (it is not normal to say "Рашевский" for "Russian") word.

Last edited:

Emil100

Denmark, Danish
    No, I think it is from "Russia", that is "Russian Compradors".

You probably know what "comprador means" (comprador bourgeoisie - merchants dealing with contracting to foreign corporations )

PS. It is "slangy" (it is not normal to say "Рашевский" for "Russian") word.

Thanks for your explanation. I would never have guessed that "Рашевский" could be a slang which means "Russian"...

By the way, I have a question regarding "его собственный крах в этих областях" in the context text:

Do you think that "его" grammatically refers to "кубинским примером" which appears previously in the context text? Or does "его" rather refer to something else?

Maroseika

Russian
    In Russian компрадор is strongly semantically marked, meaning a trader and originally (by marxists of Lenin's epoch) was used with regard to the retarded nations able to export only raw materials. Modern Russia is often compared with such nations, so рашевские компрадоры are bussinesmen exporting oil, gas and raw metals.

Maroseika

Russian
    Do you think that "его" grammatically refers to "кубинским примером" which appears previously in the context text? Or does "его" rather refer to something else?
    It refers to Washington.

By the way, I also have never heard рашевский.

rusita preciosa

Modus forendi
    Russian (Moscow)
    You did not provide enough context. Where did you find this article? What is the topic? Was Russia mentioned there?

Рашевский is very unlikely to refer to Russia. There is an American very scandalous conservative political commentator Rush Limbaugh, check if a reference to him fits.

Comprador is Spanish means "buyer / vendor". Ask the Spanish forum if this has any special meaning in Cuban Spanish.

EDIT: BTW, why don't you find the exact Tony Benn's quote in English and see what it says.

Emil100

Denmark, Danish
    You did not provide enough context. Where did you find this article? What is the topic? Was Russia mentioned there?

Рашевский is very unlikely to refer to Russia. There is an American very scandalous conservative political commentator Rush Limbaugh, check if a reference to him fits.

Comprador is Spanish means "buyer / vendor". Ask the Spanish forum if this has any special meaning in Cuban Spanish.

The entire context is found in the newspaper article:
    http://www.kp.ru/daily/25618.02/784900/

"Рашевский компрадор" is found among the readers' replies to the article. Currently, this reply is at the top of readers' replies. (The fourth last line of that reader's reply).
    The reader inserted the reply on 03.01.2011, 13:40

Last edited:

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian

EDIT: BTW, why don't you find the exact Tony Benn's quote in English and see what it says.

Sorry, you are way, way off with that. And there was enough context. And if you ever read Lenin's/Marx' works, you know what "компрадор" means in Russian.

cyanista

законодательница мод
    NRW
    Belarusian/Russian
    If you gave us the exact context from the very beginning, it would have been much easier to understand that in a forum post someone freely quoted Tony Benn and added his own comment in parentheses (и Рашевских компрадоров).

It would surprise me greatly if Mr Benn could speak Russian so well (or badly) as to use the latest net jargon. "Рашевский" sounds somewhat derogatory and is obviously derived from Раша, a recently popular phonetical approximation of the English name "Russia". I believe there is even a TV show called "Наша Раша". It rhymes, you know... :rolleyes:

Anyway, my first thought was that the translator took great freedom with the quote; fortunately, rusita's request for context and your reply brought more clarity.

Please be more generous with context and background; it is of great help for those of us who are trying to help you and do not have mind-reading powers (that is, just about everyone except Mr morzh). ;)

Last edited:

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    Если это Раша,то лучше -рашенский.

Да не лучше. И так, и эдак - криво. Можно ведь и "рашковский" сказать, и еще много как. Все одно это и неправильно, и некрасиво, и косноязычно.

Но речь-то не об этом, а о том, что это означает. Исправлять смысла нет - автор как написал, так и написал.