Русь и Россия (Rus' and Russia)

Jana337

čeština
Привет! :)

Could anyone explain the difference between "Русь" and "Россия", as understood today? (Some history here and here.)

Does the former still have a territorial meaning?

Before doing some research for this thread, I thought that Россия would be a neutral name for the country, whereas Русь could encapsulate the love for the patria. In Czech, we say "matička Rus". However, I was surprised to find out that "Руcь-матушка" does not seem to exist, while "Россия-матушка" generates quite a few links. With my theory debunked, I am hoping for some input from you. :)

Now it is a bit hard to imagine that Ilya Muromets (I LOVE русские былины :)), a legend associated with the Kievan Rus', would exalt
Россия-матушка - the word Россия barely existed in his heyday. Well, I know that the legends were written much later and that the terminology needn't be authentic.

Jana

• Привет! :)

Could anyone explain the difference between "Русь" and "Россия", as understood today? (Some history here and here.)

Does the former still have a territorial meaning?

Before doing some research for this thread, I thought that Россия would be a neutral name for the country, whereas Русь could encapsulate the love for the patria. In Czech, we say "matička Rus". However, I was surprised to find out that "Руcь-матушка" does not seem to exist, while "Россия-матушка" generates quite a few links. With my theory debunked, I am hoping for some input from you. :)

Now it is a bit hard to imagine that Ilya Muromets (I LOVE русские былины :)), a legend associated with the Kievan Rus', would exalt Россия-матушка - the word Россия barely existed in his heyday. Well, I know that the legends were written much later and that the terminology needn't be authentic.

Jana
    Rus is used to denote the nation historically. so that does often include Kiev! (not to be said to most Ukrainians;)). It is also commonly used by some rather radical nationalists, who propagate the greatness and purity of the nation. Something like "Stand up for the Mother Rus".

Anatoli

русский (Russian)
    Jana, the word Русь is not so common to refer to modern Russia and its usage is fading but people might use in poetry or when trying to be poetic, can also be used in some slogans, names of hotels, companies, etc. Yes, when referring to Kievan Rus', the term Русь should be used. All Ukrainians know that Kievan Rus' was a common country of East Slavic single nation with the capital in Kiev, I don't see anything wrong with that. It's our history. Россия is of course, the modern name for Russia (including Tsarist Russia and the Russian Federation as part of the ex-USSR).

Before the break-up of the USSR, we seldom used "Россия" to refer to the whole of the USSR, although in the West the Soviet Union was usually called Russia. (Strange, why it was Russian tanks but Soviet sputniks and ballet?). We called the USSR Советский Союз or simply Союз.

These days when people ask me where I am from, it's not enough to say that I am from Russia, they want to make sure that I am from Russia, Russia, as if there are still other parts of Russia (that is former Soviet Union).

ekhlewagastiR

Russian (languages RUS, SWE, ENG, GER, ESP)
    by the way, there are two words for Russian people also:

русский - a person of Russian origin
    россиянин - a citizen of Russian Federation of whatever etnic origin