Сколько

jinxnao

turkey turkish
Сколько Иван не прибавлял шагу,
расстояние между преследуемыми и им
ничуть не сокращалось и не успел поэт
опомниться, как после тихой Спиридоновки
очутился у Никитских ворот.
What does this sentence mean? And use of Сколько here does not make sense to me true?

• jinxnao

turkey turkish
    как после тихой Спиридоновки = run out of quiet spiridinovka??? Where do you get the meaning of the " run " here from? and после = after is not it?

gvozd

Buddy, the Russian language is too complicated, and my English is too weak to explain to you these subtleties. But I'll try to do my best.

Как после тихой Спиридоновки=В тот самый момент, как он миновал (пробежал, проскочил) тихую Спиридоновку

jinxnao

turkey turkish
    Ah I think it is a very elegant sentence and I guess I could get it in the end:) Thank you my dear friend. Now the mystery is solved by your help..

rusita preciosa

Modus forendi
    Russian (Moscow)
    gvozd offered a literary translation, not a literal one, so it will not help you understand the structure of the sentence.
    как после тихой Спиридоновки = how after the quiet Spiridonovka
    The meaning of сколько не is highly dependent on the context, in this case it is "no matter how much".

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    Сколько Иван не прибавлял шагу,
    Actually, I don't know what what's in the source, and I am lazy enough to go and find it, but it should be "сколько ни".

PS. I just found both version of the source; I think "не" is a result of someone's negligent typing.

Sobakus

как here is part of the complex conjunction(?) не <...>, как, often used in the expression не успел <verb>, как. They both mean "he hardly did <...>", "before he could". Examples:

Не успел я сделать и двух шагов, как снова услышал его голос - Before I even made a few steps I heard his voice again.
    Не сказала она и двух слов, как в зале раздался хохот - She hardly said anything when the audience started laughing.

Note that you can't put a bare verb without успеть, so не опомнился поэт, как is wrong. You have to use a verbal phrase or add at least a particle, for example: поэт ещё даже не опомнился, как.

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    как here is part of the complex conjunction(?) не <...>, как, often used in the expression не успел <verb>, как. They both mean "he hardly did <...>", "before he could". Examples:

Не успел я сделать и двух шагов, как снова услышал его голос - Before I even made a few steps I heard his voice again.
    Не сказала она и двух слов, как в зале раздался хохот - She hardly said anything when the audience started laughing.

Note that you can't put a bare verb without успеть, so не опомнился поэт, как is wrong. You have to use a verbal phrase or add at least a particle, for example: поэт ещё даже не опомнился, как.
    I am sorry to tell you that, but you are way off, and what you give as examples has nothing to do with what's been said.

Sobakus

I am sorry to tell you that, but you are way off, and what you give as examples has nothing to do with what's been said.
    I'm confused. What about "не успел поэт опомниться, как после тихой Спиридоновки очутился у Никитских ворот", how's it different?

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    We are talking of "как ни"...., and you are about "не успел". Still don't see any difference?

Sobakus

There's not a single instance of "как ни" in this thread. There's "сколько ни", and there's exactly one post about it, which is #2. Then there's two posts on "не vs ни", that have a whole topic devoted to them somewhere, the conclusion being that both are now considered correct if I remember right. All the other posts here concern "как после ".

Last edited:

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    OK. "сколько ни". It's still "ни".

Those are standard expressions, "сколько ни"/ "как ни", and it is an amplifying particle.

Look in Rosenthal, or something.

) Частица ни употребляется перед сказуемым в придаточных предложениях для усиления утвердительного смысла, например: Слушайтесь его во всем, что ни прикажет (Пушкин). Не мог он ямба от хорея, как мы ни бились, отличить (Пушкин). Куда ни оглянусь, повсюду рожь густая (Майков). Кто ни проедет, всякий похвалит (Пушкин). Частица ни и придаточных предложениях указанного типа примыкает к относительному слову или к союзу, и поэтому придаточные предложения начинаются сочетаниями: кто ни, кто бы ни, что ни, что бы ни, как ни, как бы ни, сколько ни, сколько бы ни, куда ни, куда бы ни, где ни, где бы ни, какой ни, какой бы ни, чей ни, чей бы ни, когда ни, когда бы ни и т. п.

Again, you are WAY OFF.

Sobakus

Right, right, whatever, I'm not even talking about сколько ни/как ни. I'm answering the post #3 as do most of the answers in this thread. I think you need to reread it.

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    Gotcha.

Can I make a suggestion? Personally, when answering a remote post, especially if it is not the main question, I always quote it, so no confusion arises.
    With "не/ни" sub-topic and your "не" example right after mine, I thought you were discussing the one I posted.

< Previous | Next >