Спасибо (Thank you) and Пожалуйста (please)

keung

Chinese
Hello all,

I got another question, there is Спасибо (Thank you) and Пожалуйста (please)
Is the usage as same as thank you and please ?
For example, when buying a ticket or ordering a meal it will be “ I need/want XXXX, Пожалуйста “
After receive service, it is Спасибо to say ?
Am I right ?
It may look silly but I’m really strange to Russian. Thank~

• Maroseika

Russian
    Спасибо is used more or less the same way as "thank you" in English, i.e. after receiving the service.
    As for пожалуйста, it's usage may differ from the English "please", however it is not that easy to answer your question without exact context in Russian. At least direct translation of your English phrase would be wrong: Мне нужен один билет до Москвы, пожалуйста. :cross:, because the main distinction from "please" is that Russian пожалуйста is used in the imperative phrases or the phrases presuming imperative, like:

Будьте добры, один билет до Москвы, пожалуйста.
    Один билет до Москвы, пожалуйста.
    Пожалуйста, один билет до Москвы.
    Принесите мне, пожалуйста, кофе.

In the first three phrases something like дайте is presumed.
    Пожалуйста in the beginning of the phrase makes it more polite.

And one more important feature of Russian пожалуйста: it is also said in reply to "Thank you" (= You are welcome).

Last edited:

Word Eater

Russian - Moscow
    I'm with Maroseika. There is nothing wrong with "будьте добры хххх, пожалуста".

4elsik

Russian
    I'm saying this is "overpolited". Who would you ever say anything like this to? If only there was a letter to queen where you'd beg staff to hand the letter to her majesty.

That is my point as I can't recall to have heard this. Would like to hear some more from the other native speakers.

Rosett

Russian
    I'm saying this is "overpolited". Who would you ever say anything like this to? If only there was a letter to queen where you'd beg staff to hand the letter to her majesty.

That is my point as I can't recall to have heard this. Would like to hear some more from the other native speakers.
    My professor would say "будьте добры" to every student on his class.

But nowadays, of course, it is turned to be outdated for many (not for me), or imperative, as in "будь добр", and slightly ironic, as for "будь добёр".

Last edited:

keung

Chinese
    Thank~

For Пожалуйста, since can’t say a whole sentence in Russian,
    So refer to your example, can I simply use the word like that
    “two ticket to Moscow “ and then say Пожалуйста ?
    “one roasted chicken and three orange juice…...” and then say Пожалуйста ?
    Furthermore, if пожалуйста also mean “you’re welcome”
    Is it also okay when I bought something then heard Спасибо form the sale, so I can reply Пожалуйста to be polite ?
    Will above sound odd ?

Maroseika

Russian
    For Пожалуйста, since can’t say a whole sentence in Russian,
    So refer to your example, can I simply use the word like that
    “two ticket to Moscow “ and then say Пожалуйста ?
    “one roasted chicken and three orange juice…...” and then say Пожалуйста ?
    You understood the usage of this пожалуйста right. However are you going to combine in your phrases English and Russian words? I'm afraid, this combination would sound rather weird. I don't think there is any need to add Russian polite words, if a waiter or a teller can understand your request in English.

Furthermore, if пожалуйста also mean “you’re welcome”
    Is it also okay when I bought something then heard Спасибо form the sale, so I can reply Пожалуйста to be polite ?
    Will above sound odd ?
    No, in this case пожалуйста in response to спасибо will sound odd (or jokingly), because this спасибо would be quite formal (thank you for visiting us or buying from us).
    Пожалуйста after спасибо is natural only when you helped somebody.

keung

Chinese
    You understood the usage of this пожалуйста right. However are you going to combine in your phrases English and Russian words? I'm afraid, this combination would sound rather weird. I don't think there is any need to add Russian polite words, if a waiter or a teller can understand your request in English.

No, in this case пожалуйста in response to спасибо will sound odd (or jokingly), because this спасибо would be quite formal (thank you for visiting us or buying from us).
    Пожалуйста after спасибо is natural only when you helped somebody.

Thank you very much!

< Previous | Next >