Учебники на английском языке

alc112

Senior Member
Argentina Spanish
Hi!!
Does someone know the meaning of this sentence?
Учебники на английском языке
As far as I know, it should be Russian

thankyou very much
 
  • la grive solitaire

    Senior Member
    United States, English
    Hi alc,

    It's Russian and it must be a set phrase because it came right up as "Textbooks in English" according to the text translator online at: freetranslation. Try it!
     

    Whodunit

    Senior Member
    Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    alc112 said:
    Hi!!
    Does someone know the meaning of this sentence?
    Учебники на английском языке
    As far as I know, it should be Russian

    thankyou very much

    I'd like to transliterate it. :D

    "Utshebniki na angliskom jasyke"

    I'd pronounce it like this, though:

    "Otshebnikí no angliskam jsyk".

    _________________

    Grammar:
    • ending -и [-í] indicates the plural
    • "на" [na] means the same as "in/at/on/etc."
    • "английско" [anglisko] means "English", but it's declined (I think in the accusative) and assimilated to "языке" here
    • "язык" means "(the) language", but it's the accusative here, so it gets an "e" [(j)e].
    I hope everything's correct. If not Inara will explain it better to you. :)
     

    Jana337

    Senior Member
    čeština
    Whodunit said:
    I'd like to transliterate it. :D

    "Utshebniki na angliskom jasyke"

    I'd pronounce it like this, though:

    "Otshebnikí no angliskam jsyk".

    _________________

    Grammar:


    • ending -и [-í] indicates the plural
    • "на" [na] means the same as "in/at/on/etc"
    • "английско" английский means "English", but it's declined (I think in the accusative) I don't think so (it would be the 6. case in Czech, which is closest to the dative) and assimilated to "языке" here
    • "язык" means "(the) language", but it's the accusative here, so it gets an "e" [(j)e].
    I hope everything's correct. If not Inara will explain it better to you. :)


    I would suggest following transliteration: Utshebnyiki na angliyskom y'zykye (with y pronounced like in yellow). Looking forward to Inara's solution.


    I confirm that it means "textbooks in English". Excellent, LGS. :)


    Jana
     

    Whodunit

    Senior Member
    Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    Jana337 said:
    I would suggest following transliteration: Utshebnyiki na angliyskom y'zykye (with y pronounced like in yellow). Looking forward to Inara's solution.

    I confirm that it means "textbooks in English". Excellent, LGS. :)

    Jana

    I trust in you, Jana. ;) I'm sure you have a better basis on Slavic and Cyrillic languages than I. :)
     

    David

    Banned
    Far be it from me to disagree with the Boss--one gets nasty messages--but I think языке is in the prepositional case, not the accusative. In Russian, one cannot use the adjectival form (e.g. "English") standing alone as the substantive or noun indicating a language, hence the phrase английском языке, lit. "(the) English language." Ha means, literally, on, and is used here in the sense of "lectures on Babylonian history." A textbook in English might be on the history of Chinese iconography. The phrase would therefore be correctly translated as "Textbooks on English" or "Textbooks on the English Language."
     

    Jana337

    Senior Member
    čeština
    David said:
    Far be it from me to disagree with the Boss--one gets nasty messages--but I think языке is in the prepositional case, not the accusative. In Russian, one cannot use the adjectival form (e.g. "English") standing alone as the substantive or noun indicating a language, hence the phrase английском языке, lit. "(the) English language." Ha means, literally, on, and is used here in the sense of "lectures on Babylonian history." A textbook in English might be on the history of Chinese iconography. The phrase would therefore be correctly translated as "Textbooks on English" or "Textbooks on the English Language."

    I respectfully disagree.
    Учебники на английском языке, as I understand it, are textbooks on anything, written in English. You can have математические учебники на английском языке, for instance.
    Textbooks of English would be Учебники английского языка (the genitive case).

    Jana
     

    oscarmadrid

    New Member
    España-español
    alc112 said:
    Hi!!
    Does someone know the meaning of this sentence?
    Учебники на английском языке
    As far as I know, it should be Russian

    thankyou very much

    hi, how are you!!!

    I think the translation "English textbooks" is the best one.

    greetings
     

    Anastasia

    Member
    Italia-italiano,francese,inglese
    si , infatti, anche per me è così,.
    jana, ma non si sarebbe potuto dire anche (te lo scrivo traslitterato perchè non ho voglia di cercare le lettere sulla tastiera) utsebnik po angliiskomu jasyku?
     

    Jana337

    Senior Member
    čeština
    Учебники по английскому языку?
    Да, мoжнo. Oтличнo :)

    Янa
     

    Inara

    Senior Member
    Hi everybody!

    I was out, so I am late, but it is better late than never, I hope :)
    So, "Учебники на английском языке" are the textbooks in English, as Jana and Annabel said. Any. Math, Chemistry, Botany, etc. But written in English.
    "English textbooks" would be "Учебники английского языка"
    "Учебники по английскому языку" is ok, but a bit "forced"(forzado?), I would say just "Учебники по английскому" and fullstop.

    And I would like to suggest another version for the pronunciation.
    Instead of: "Utshebniki na angliskom jasyke" or "Utshebnyiki na angliyskom y'zykye": "Uchébniki na anglíjskam jazyké". Well, actually my "j" and Jana's "y" is the same sound, but I would like to let "y" stand for Russian "Ы", if you don't mind :)

    Cheers!
    Inara
    P.S. I am so happy to find other Russian speakers here!
     
    Top