Apa2001

English, as spoken in New Joisey
Is there a difference between these two sentences-
Я вчера не был на работе.
Меня вчера не было на работе.
Do they both express the same meaning?
Спасибо заранее!

• Sobakus

The meaning is the same, the speaker's attitude is different. The impersonal construction expectedly alleviates the responsibility for missing the work to some extent and sounds a bit evasively.

Wertis

Banned
    Russian
    Is there a difference between these two sentences-
    Я вчера не был на работе.
    Меня вчера не было на работе.
    Do they both express the same meaning?
    Спасибо заранее!
    To me they have absolutely identical meaning. However always remeber the rule that works in all situations: there are no and there can't be any two words and phrases that are spelled differently and mean absolutely the same thing. Even if they do they can be used in different contexts. So probably here we can, if we try, find some context that will show the difference but what comes to my mind is that in sentence #1 a person is saying the phrase while in sentence #2 a passive construction is used.

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    there are no and there can't be any two words and phrases that are spelled differently and mean absolutely the same thing.
    Ahem, let's see....

1. Голубика / Гонобобель.
    2. Groundhog / Woodchuck.
    3. Ихневмон / Фараонова крыса.
    4. gas range / has stove / gas cooker

Продолжать?

Wertis

Banned
    Russian
    Ahem, let's see....

1. Голубика / Гонобобель.
    2. Groundhog / Woodchuck.
    3. Ихневмон / Фараонова крыса.
    4. gas range / has stove / gas cooker

Продолжать?
    Morzh, you probably think you've disproved my "theory" :) No, you haven't because what I've said works in all situations and it's as true as, say, Newton's law of gravitation. The quoted phrase doesn't fully refect my "rule" because you forgot to insert the second part of my phrase: "Even if they do they can be used in different contexts". Please see my previous message. Maybe my phrase would be more precise if I made the folowing correction: "Even if they do they can should/must be used in different contexts".

I don't need to know whether or not, for example, "Голубика" and "Гонобобель" mean the same thing. I am sure, however, that never will you use "гонобобель" when speaking to an ordinary person who doesn't know much about plants and forest fruit. He won't understand you if you say something like "Пойдем собирать гонобобель" :). The same about all the rest examples. As you can see there is no need to continue the list :).

My rule works.

< Previous | Next >