бабушка

< Previous | Next >
  • dec-sev

Russian
    It seems to be just another Russian word which has no equivalent in English.
    Using this logic I can easily prove you that most of Russian words don’t have their equivalents in English. Японская кухня is not the same as “Japanese cuisine”, as here it’s cooked by a cook from Uzbekistan who pronounces the word суши with a stress on the second syllable. Гостиница в Харькове с тремя звёздами is by no means a hotel, as there was not hot water when I put up there last year. To say nothing of a “hostel” in Melitopol where I lived during my practical work in 1992. Прошу прощения за молодежный жаргон ( я все-таки тогда был вечно молодой и вечно пьяный:) ), но это ни какой ни хостел, а голимая общага. А ларёк в 5м2 с гордой надписью «Бутик». Или еще «эксклюзивный секонд-хенд» в Севастополе. Буду заканчивать, а то превращусь в Задорнова :)

Maroseika

Russian
    Using this logic I can easily prove you that most of Russian words don’t have their equivalents in English. Японская кухня is not the same as “Japanese cuisine”, as here it’s cooked by a cook from Uzbekistan who pronounces the word суши with a stress on the second syllable. Гостиница в Харькове с тремя звёздами is by no means a hotel, as there was not hot water when I put up there last year. To say nothing of a “hostel” in Melitopol where I lived during my practical work in 1992. Прошу прощения за молодежный жаргон ( я все-таки тогда был вечно молодой и вечно пьяный:) ), но это ни какой ни хостел, а голимая общага. А ларёк в 5м2 с гордой надписью «Бутик». Или еще «эксклюзивный секонд-хенд» в Севастополе. Буду заканчивать, а то превращусь в Задорнова :)
    Actually any word in any country means something different. But sometimes the difference is so strong, that we have no other way then using original name, because direct translation means something too different.
    Sushi is not just a rice nubbin envolved into sea grass, and pilav is not just a rice porridge with meat and carrot, and intelligencia has nothing to do with intelectuals, and kolkhoz is something different from "collective farm", and babushka is not just a grandmother (though in fact soon she will, I guess).

dec-sev

Russian
    Actually any word in any country means something different. But sometimes the difference is so strong, that we have no other way then using original name, because direct translation means something too different.
    Sushi is not just a rice nubbin envolved into sea grass, and pilav is not just a rice porridge with meat and carrot, and intelligencia has nothing to do with intelectuals, and kolkhoz is something different from "collective farm", and babushka is not just a grandmother (though in fact soon she will, I guess).
    But you can´t just limit you language to perestroyka, glastnost etc.
    Suppose, you are spekaing to your American friend
    - My grandmother worked at a kolkhoz
    -What does kolkhoz mean?
    - Well is't a sort of a collective farm, but something different.
    - In what way?
    - You see, it's a soft of an agricultural organization where everybody works together and the result of the work is divided between the members
    - So, it's a collective farm?
    - No, it's not a collective farm.
    - Hm, I thought it was the same.
    - I had thought the same until I visit the forum yesterday.
    - Ok. You say your grandma worked there.
    - No.
    - What!!!!!!
    - I didn't say this. I said my grandmother worked there.
    - So, what is the difference
    - You see...

Maroseika

Russian
    But you can´t just limit you language to perestroyka, glastnost etc.
    Suppose, you are spekaing to your American friend...
    Well, I guess that's a kind of confusion, sorry I haven't expressed myself clearly enough.
    Actually, you have no necessity to explain to your american friend what are kolkhoz, babushka or inteligentsia - just because these words do exist already in English since long ago, and that was not our decision but theirs - to use our word instead of translating it in English.
    I can easily imagine a Russian whom you'll have to explain what does mean sushi, but it doesn't mean we should not use exactly this word for this subject.

< Previous | Next >