вроде ничего

jos.dan

Spanish
Hi everyone :)
What is the meaning of this phrase? I read it in the following sentences:

Ну, как прошёл твой день, что нового?
Да, вроде ничего, всё по-старому.

I'm guessing from the context that the phrase means "just like always", but if I tried to translate the phrase literally, that would be "like nothing". What is the reasoning behind this? Does this come from "everything's like nothing happened" = "eveything's the same"?

When I looked вроде как in ReversoContext, I got results like this one:
Этот ресторан вроде ничего.
This place looks nice.

Я ненавижу людей, но ты вроде ничего.
I hate people, but you are okay.

How come does a phrase that literally means "like nothing" has a positive connotation? Or maybe the phrase doesn't have a positive connotation in these sentences?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Last edited:
  • Awwal12

Russian
    I suppose, ничего́ = ничего́ плохо́го originally, with the usage ultimately widened from describing situations to more general descriptions. Works in predicates only.
    "Вроде" here is a particle (~"it seems"), = "вроде бы".
    Cf. "а ты́ ничего́", "рестора́н вро́де (бы) неплохо́й".

Last edited:

Vovan

Russian
    "Вроде (вроде бы, вроде как, вроде бы как)" (colloquial) means "as far as I know; as far as I can see; as far as it seems; etc." but is translated in many different ways.
    "Быть ничего" (colloquial) means "to be okay; to be not bad".
    (Cross-posted.)

Update:
    1. You can translate "быть вроде ничего" as "to look not bad".
    2. "Быть (вроде) ничего" about a person of the opposite sex very often suggests assessing that person's sex appeal or, at least, appearance (looks) in rather a positive way - if not explicitly stated (or clearly understood from context) otherwise:
    А она вроде ничего... "Cекси", я бы даже сказал! (молодежная речь)
    Как друг он вроде ничего, но встречаться с ним я бы не хотела. (=В роли друга он вполне нормальный, но быть его девушкой я бы не хотела. Разговорное.)

Last edited:

Vovan

Russian
    Ну, как прошёл твой день, что нового?
    Да, вроде ничего, всё по-старому.
    ...but if I tried to translate the phrase literally, that would be "like nothing [new]".
    — Что нового?
    — Вроде бы ничего [нового].

As you see, this example has no relation to the idiomatic "быть ничего".

jos.dan

Spanish
    As you see, this example has no relation to the idiomatic "быть ничего".
    I get it. So there are two ways this expressions could be used. Thanks a lot, Awwal12 and Vovan. Like always, you've been very helpful :)

< Previous | Next >