встретиться c vs встретить + acc

Konstantinos

Greek - Athens
встретиться + c equals встретить + accusative? I was always wondering about this, so help me to make it clear now.

An example:

Мне нравится художник, с которым мы встретились на выставке.

I found it in a Russian book of exercises. Can it be written as:

Мне нравится художник, которого мы встретили на выставке.

Thanks in advance.

• Vovan

Russian
    Sometimes both verbs can mean "to meet somebody by chance and for the first time; to make the acquaintance of somebody". And this is the case in both of your examples. Yes, here the two verbs are equal in meaning.

Konstantinos

Greek - Athens
    Но

кто-то может танцевать с кем-то.

кто-то может танцеваться с кем-то.

In that case, both are acceptable and mean the same?

Vovan

Russian
    No!:D "Танцеваться" is something hardly recognisable as a real Russian word in this context!

An update: "танцеваться" does exist, but it is relatively rarely heard and used quite differently:

Этот танец танцуется совсем по-другому. (You dance this dance in a different way. This dance is danced differently.)
    Мне сегодня особенно легко танцевалось. (Dancing was especially easy for me today.)

Last edited:

Maroseika

Russian
    Мне нравится художник, с которым мы встретились на выставке.
    Мне нравится художник, которого мы встретили на выставке.
    In this context I understand мы встретились means as if we planned to meet him - he and we. And мы встретили presumes no plan, just met him by occasion.

Rosett

Russian
    Your OP examples are ambiguous, both, since they might mean equally that you met the artist in person, or you saw their masterpieces (metonymically) for the first time.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >