вынесет показать

< Previous | Next >

Lorenc

Italian
I've found a short story containing this passage:
Алиса перестала кричать. Долго молчала. Я уже начал радоваться, что ребёнок родился, и она уже сидит с ним в обнимку. Даже представил, как врач вынесет показать ребёнка и мне, подумав, что я его отец.

I'm not too sure what to make of the part in bold.
I guess the whole sentence means something like 'I even imagined that the doctor would take out the baby to show him to me too, having thought that I'm his father.' But I don't really understand the original structure, without any 'чтобы'. Is this some kind of regular structure? If so, can anybody provide more examples?

• Awwal12

Russian
    But I don't really understand the original structure, without any 'чтобы'.
    Motion verbs attach infinitive phrases of immediate purpose without "чтобы". Please note the shared direct object.
    More examples:
    Я приехал в институт сдавать экзамены.
    Я вышел из дома прогуляться.

Lorenc

Italian
    Thanks. It is the shared direct object which I find a little surprising. Would '... как врач вынесет ребёнка показать его и мне' work as a sentence?

Vovan

Russian
    Я уже начал радоваться, что ребёнок родился, и она уже сидит с ним в обнимку. Даже представил, как врач вынесет показать ребёнка и мне, подумав, что я его отец.
    Note that googling even such simple phrases as "вынес показать его" gives almost no results.
    "Вынесет его ,чтобы показать мне" is somewhat better in terms of grammar. See "вынес его показать".

Last edited:

Awwal12

Russian
    Note that googling even such simple phrases as "вынес показать его" gives almost no results.
    "Вынесет его ,чтобы показать мне" is somewhat better in terms of grammar. See "вынес его показать".
    Please, note that:
    1. most of your examples with "вынес его показать" additionally contain an immediately following dative noun phrase, which would make "вынес показать его" inconveniently ambiguous (since "его" here may be both a direct object and a possessive pronoun modifying the noun);
    2. while "вынес его, чтобы показать" is undoubtedly grammatical (the usual dependent clause of purpose vs. the bare infinitive of immediate purpose, with only a slight semantic difference), Google also gives only 2 examples of it. Since "вынес показать" gives only 149 unique results, I'd say it's a normally expected frequency.

And no, "вынесет его показать мне" certainly doesn't sound better to me.

nizzebro

Russian
    Would '... как врач вынесет ребёнка показать его и мне' work as a sentence?
    In this particular case, where the infinitive is separated from the main verb, the сonjunction чтобы could and should be used:
    ...как врач вынесет ребёнка, чтобы показать его и мне.
    Or, at least:
    ...как врач вынесет ребёнка показать мне.
    Otherwise, the structure loses it's integrity: the "показать его" sounds as a separate clause and the conjunction "и..." completes the mess. It could be perceived as something like:
    "... that the doctor would take out the baby. Show [him|his]! And, to me..."
    The original construction works well as long as "вынесет показать" is perceived as a single compound and addresses a single object.

Last edited:

Rosett

Russian
    However, those examples are perfectly valid:
    “Nov. 4, 2015 · Он схватил своего малолетнего сына, Принца Майкла II, под мышки и вынес показать его публике. Он держал Принца довольно крепко, ...“
    “Когда кинжал был готов, мастер вынес показать его родственникам, старейшинам и соседям мастерам-оружейникам. Все поразились красоте ...“

Awwal12

Russian
    In this particular case, where the infinitive is separated from the main verb, the сonjunction чтобы could and should be used:
    ...как врач вынесет ребёнка, чтобы показать его и мне.
    But it has a different meaning to begin with. :confused: V + INF + что-л./кого-л. has the same meaning as all the motion verbs with bare infinitives, i.e. a motion performed in order to immediately achieve some goal expressed by the infinitive, often right in the process of the motion, where the two actions are actually percieved as inseparable. Note:
    я сегодня пришёл в институт, чтобы сдать экзамены :tick:
    я сегодня пришёл в институт сдать экзамены :tick:
    я сегодня пришёл в институт, чтобы сдать через неделю экзамены :tick: (your today's action in the main clause will make the event in the subordinate clause, which is your goal, possible)
    я сегодня пришёл в институт сдать через неделю экзамены :cross:
    It could be perceived as something like:
    "... that the doctor would take out the baby. Show [him|his]! And, to me..."
    By whom? :confused:

Vovan

Russian
    However, those examples are perfectly valid:
    “Nov. 4, 2015 · Он схватил своего малолетнего сына, Принца Майкла II, под мышки и вынес показать его публике. Он держал Принца довольно крепко, ...“
    “Когда кинжал был готов, мастер вынес показать его родственникам, старейшинам и соседям мастерам-оружейникам. Все поразились красоте ...“
    Those are okay (except in formal style).
    But that is not always the case:
    :tick:Вынесешь показать?
    :cross:Она привела убедить его в обратном.

nizzebro

Russian
    But it has a different meaning to begin with.
    I agree, but the matter is whether the sentence 'как врач вынесет ребёнка показать его и мне' is well-formed.
    To me, the sentence 'как врач вынесет ребёнка показать его и мне' sounds unclear like as if it contained three different parts; and the reason of that is 1) the second instance of a direct object ("его") and 2) the conjunction ("и").
    In your examples, the motion verbs are intransitive so no such problem arises.

Last edited:

nizzebro

Russian
    я сегодня пришёл в институт сдать экзамены :tick:
    What's interesting that it always looks fine until we add one more argument:
    я сегодня пришёл в институт в половине восьмого вечера сдать экзамены. :confused:
    я сегодня пришёл в институт сдать экзамены в половине восьмого вечера :confused:
    я сегодня пришёл в институт сдавать экзамены в половине восьмого вечера :tick:
    я сегодня пришёл в институт в половине восьмого вечера, чтобы сдать экзамены :tick:
    я сегодня пришёл в институт , чтобы в половине восьмого вечера сдать экзамены. :tick:

Awwal12

Russian
    What's interesting that it always looks fine until we add one more argument:
    я сегодня пришёл в институт в половине восьмого вечера сдать экзамены. :confused:
    я сегодня пришёл в институт сдать экзамены в половине восьмого вечера :confused:
    я сегодня пришёл в институт сдавать экзамены в половине восьмого вечера :tick:
    я сегодня пришёл в институт в половине восьмого вечера, чтобы сдать экзамены :tick:
    я сегодня пришёл в институт , чтобы в половине восьмого вечера сдать экзамены. :tick:
    Yes, you normally cannot separately modify the infinitive with adverbial phrases in that construction. (They aren't "arguments", strictly speaking, but merely adjuncts; in fact, real arguments will be fine - e.g. "я пришёл отдать ему учебник". :tick: )

< Previous | Next >