для того, чтобы ...

< Previous | Next >

Anita hk

Hong Kong Chinese
Sentence in my book: он приехал специально для того, чтобы встретиться с вами.
Can I simply say ''он приехал специально, чтобы встретиться с вами'', or even ''он приехал специально встретиться с вами''?
Are there any circumstances where для того has to be used?
Thanks in advance.

• GCRaistlin

Russian
    :tick: Он приехал специально, чтобы встретиться с вами.
    :cross: Он приехал специально встретиться с вами.

Во втором случае специально относится к встретиться, поэтому получается несуразица.

Maroseika

Russian
    Sentence in my book: он приехал специально для того, чтобы встретиться с вами.
    Can I simply say ''он приехал специально, чтобы встретиться с вами'', or even ''он приехал специально встретиться с вами''?
    Are there any circumstances where для того has to be used?
    Yes, both are possible, the second one being more colloquial. Для того is superfluous and makes the phrase more officious.

Awwal12

Russian
    Yes, both are possible, the second one being more colloquial.
    The word order of the second sentence is barely possible (no wonder GCRaistin objected).
    Normally it would be "он специально приехал встретиться с вами" or "он специально приехал с вами встретиться".

Anita hk

Hong Kong Chinese
    Does it mean that the adverb should always come before the verb it describes to avoid ambiguity?
    Then ''он специально приехал, чтобы встретиться с вами'' is better than '' он приехал специально, чтобы встретиться с вами '', although with ''чтобы '' separating the 2 verbs, there is no ambiguity anyway?

Awwal12

Russian
    Does it mean that the adverb should always come before the verb it describes to avoid ambiguity?
    Not necessary. But the adverb modifying the main verb won't normally occur between the main verb and the dependent bare infinitive (the rest depends on what kind of adverb we're talking about).
    In your last examples the presence of "чтобы" automatically removes the ambiguity, making both variants perfectly acceptable.

Last edited:

Awwal12

Russian
    P.S.: An important sidenote: not all verbs can attach bare infinitives of purpose in the first place! It mostly covers motion verbs (which even form serial constructions with both the infinitives and the finite forms in colloquial Russian; e.g. coll. ~"я вчера в институт расписание ездила смотрела" - note the most curious relative word order, which points at the two verbs actually becoming a single grammatical unit; of course, the literary language doesn't allow that). So, "я пришёл в институт сдавать экзамены" :tick: is fine, but "я поступил в институт получить образование" :cross: isn't.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >