ездили / ехали

< Previous | Next >

Konstantinos

Greek - Athens
Недавно мои друзья ездили / ехали в Петродворец

In that case, what we choose? Maybe both are acceptable, but with ездили the sentence means that they came and leave (they are not now в Петродворец) and with ехали it means that they came and they are still в Петродворец?

• GCRaistlin

Russian
    No. The difference is about the time of the event your sentence describes:

Недавно мои друзья ехали в Петродворец и попали в аварию - It happened before arriving to Petrodvorets
    Недавно мои друзья ездили в Петродворец и попали в аварию - It happened either in Petrodvorets or on the way back

GCRaistlin

Russian
    I think I was wrong:

Недавно мои друзья ездили в Петродворец и попали в аварию - It might also happen on the way to Petrodvorets but they definitely arrived there.

GCRaistlin

Russian
    Недавно мои друзья ехали в Петродворец should be followed by something that explains what's happened on the way - without it, the sentence looks incomplete.

Maroseika

Russian
    Недавно мои друзья ехали в Петродворец should be followed by something that explains what's happened on the way - without it, the sentence looks incomplete.
    I agree. And недавно ездили implies they have already came back from there.

Sobakus

ехали в Петродворец refers to the time when they were still on their way there. ездили в Петродворец refers to a completed trip there and back, but unlike съездили (which refers to the point in time when they came back, and any verb that follows would take place after that) you can use it to describe what happened to them at any point during the trip, including while in Петродворец.

Awwal12

Russian
    ездили в Петродворец refers to a completed trip there and back
    ...Or several trips (они каждый год езили в Петродворец).
    Ехать refers to continuous directed movement, and in most cases it will be translated into English as some continuous tense. Ездить refers to movement which changes its destination in process (which is unavoidable in case of a finished trip) and/or is habitual/iterative.

Sobakus

...Or several trips (они каждый год езили в Петродворец).
    Ехать refers to continuous directed movement, and in most cases it will be translated into English as some continuous tense. Ездить refers to movement which changes its destination in process (which is unavoidable in case of a finished trip) and/or is habitual/iterative.
    Right, and this meaning is very rarely expressed with the perfective (поездили sounds like it's referring to a very narrow frame of time or space, like driving around the car park for an hour). I didn't mention this meaning because I took the problem to be the difference between the two imperfectives when they're referring to a single trip.

< Previous | Next >