задуман в том же духе

robertino

Italian
Hello everybody:)
I have to study English Literature and Russian Language at the same time, because I have 2 exams in the same days, so I began to study English authors' biographies in Russian, trying to save time by combining the 2 things (what do you think about it?!:) )
It is working, actually. Anyway, in a Milton's biography I found this sentence I didn't understand for sure:

[...] Обе короткие поэмы проникнуты непосредственным чувством и особой грациозностью, характеризующей лирику Елизаветинской поры и уже более не встречающейся у самого M. «Lycidas» задуман в том же духе и дает тонкие описания идеализированной сельской жизни, но самое настроение глубже и обнаруживает таящиеся в душе поэта патриотические страсти;[...]

Now, the passage I'm not sure I catched is the red one... does it mean "conceived in the same way/with the same spirit"?
The second problem is the verb in blue... where is the subject?! it is a 3rd person, isn't it? I think I've been studying too much and I finally reached that point where even the easy things look difficult! (In other words, I'm freaking out.)
I think I'll have big problems with my Russian written test!!

Thanks everybody for your help!
(I Guess I will need more help soon...)
Roberto

• papillon

Russian (Ukraine)
    robertino said:
    Обе короткие поэмы проникнуты непосредственным чувством и особой грациозностью, характеризующей лирику Елизаветинской поры и уже более не встречающейся у самого M. «Lycidas» задуман в том же духе и дает тонкие описания идеализированной сельской жизни, но самое настроение глубже и обнаруживает таящиеся в душе поэта патриотические страсти;[...]
    Robertino, welcome to the Slavic forum!
    I admire your creativity. Reminds me of my days studying Chemistry and French at the same time. I recall trying to read a Quantum Mechanics text in French. I'm sure this has nothing to do with my complete lack of understanding of QM.:D

You are absolutely correct, задуман в том же духе does mean "conceived in the same spirit" or "in the same way".
    The subject for
    дает is the name of the poem: "Lycidas". So it would be:
    "Lycidas" [.... ] gives a fine description of the idealized coutry life...

Hope that helps. We'll be glad to help if you have any other questions.

robertino

Italian
    Thank you Papillon!
    I wasn't sure about it, Russian remains a tricky language for me even though I'm supposed to graduate in Russian next year! Hope I'll pass the test, this will be the B2 level, and I am supposed to pass the C1 level before next June! :{
    Thanks again for your delucidation!
    Rob

papillon

Russian (Ukraine)
    Well, don't worry. This was a pretty "heavy" paragraph for someone learning the language (in my opinion), so having a few questions here and there is normal. If you can understand that (which you appear to be doing just fine), you can probably translate anything those professors throw your way.:cool:

Good luck