заявить о правах на

Emil100

Denmark, Danish
Hello,

From dictionaries, I have learnt that "заявить о правах на" may mean to "claim ones rights to" something.
However, could "заявить о правах на" also mean "request to obtain the rights to" something?

Such as in the following text from an article about Trump's recent attempt to buy Greenland, "Эксперт: Если Трамп получит Гренландию, мы должны задуматься о Шпицбергене ":
"Но если авантюра Трампа удастся, Москве придется делать ответные шаги для восстановления равновесия — например, заявить о правах на другой арктический остров, Шпицберген."

• Maroseika

Russian
    could "заявить о правах на" also mean "request to obtain the rights to" something?
    I don't think so. And actually I cannot see this sense in the last sentence. What's meant is that under certain circumstances Moscow may claim its rights to Spitsbergen, i.e. that the rights already exists, but have been never claimed.

Awwal12

Russian
    No, claiming is undoubtedly implied in the example. Consider the literal sense of the expression - "to declare about one's rights (implying they exist)".

< Previous | Next >