зная vs знам ( -я vs -м )

mchatin

Turkish
Hello word reference community. It is my first thread and I am very curious about learning Bulgarian.
It is best to know the logic behind words when learning a new language and I got confused about some words in Bulgarian language.

When using present simple tense with the first singular person you use:

(аз) обичам / искам / отивам etc.

But I encountered some words ending with "я" instead of "м".

(аз) работя / живея / зная etc.

Apart from that I know that word зная is also used in some sentences as знам like: не знам.
But there is no word like работам etc.

So, what is the logic behind these ? Can anyone explain ? Is there a few certain words with exceptions or is there a precise logic ?

Thanks in advance / благодаря.

• Panceltic

Slovenščina
    Hello,

Bulgarian verbs are divided into three conjugational groups, and the ending is -a/-я or -м depending on that. Wikipedia has a good summary here.

About зная and знам, I believe they are both correct, but I will let a native speaker confirm that. There was a thread on this forum a while ago dealing with this question.

Good luck! :)

mchatin

Turkish
    Hello,

Bulgarian verbs are divided into three conjugational groups, and the ending is -a/-я or -м depending on that. Wikipedia has a good summary here.

About зная and знам, I believe they are both correct, but I will let a native speaker confirm that. There was a thread on this forum a while ago dealing with this question.

Good luck! :)
    Thank you very much for the reply & also for the link which, I think, will be very helpful.
    It is really confusing at the moment as I am at the very beginning.
    Maybe I will get used to it in time but I even asked my relatives living in Bulgaria or some people who have studied there and they could not give me any detail.
    Have a good day.

DarkChild

Bulgarian
    They're both correct and used interchangeably though знам seems to be more common.
    I do suspect that зная is the original form as all other forms like опозная, узная, позная do not have -м counterparts.

It may be an "infiltrate" from the Western dialects.

DarkChild

Bulgarian
    Hello word reference community. It is my first thread and I am very curious about learning Bulgarian.
    It is best to know the logic behind words when learning a new language and I got confused about some words in Bulgarian language.

When using present simple tense with the first singular person you use:

(аз) обичам / искам / отивам etc.

But I encountered some words ending with "я" instead of "м".

(аз) работя / живея / зная etc.

Apart from that I know that word зная is also used in some sentences as знам like: не знам.
    But there is no word like работам etc.

So, what is the logic behind these ? Can anyone explain ? Is there a few certain words with exceptions or is there a precise logic ?

Thanks in advance / благодаря.
    There is работам and so on in Western dialects but not in the standard language.

< Previous | Next >