идти на работу

< Previous | Next >

Encolpius

Hungarian
Hello, I am not sure what preposition is used in this sentence. I want to say that I have to be at work at 7 o'clock, so can I say: Завтра я пойду на работу на семь. Can I use на? Thanks.

• Encolpius

Hungarian
    Завтра я пойду на работу в семь - means I will live home at 7
    Завтра я пойду на работу к семи - I will go to start at 7
    Thanks. Very interesting. Of course I knew the first sentence. Now I know the 2nd one in Russian, too, but still do not know in English. :)

Awwal12

Russian
    May be "I'll come to work by 7 o'clock"
    Yes, it is much closer, I believe. )

Also, just for comparison:
    "Завтра мне на работу к семи" (coll.) ~ "Tomorrow I should be at work by 7 o'clock".

Lorenc

Italian
    I'd like to revive this thread and ask whether 'идти на работу' generically means 'go to work' without any implication of walking to the place of work (and not travelling by car). For example, consider the sentence
    - Скорее! Нам пора ехать на аэропорт, а потом мне нужно быстро идти на работу. У меня мало времени.
    Does идти work okay in this case, although we know that the trip won't be on foot? Would пойти, ехать or поехать be possible alternatives?

Vovan

Russian
    - Скорее! Нам пора ехать на в аэропорт, а потом мне нужно быстро идти на работу. У меня мало времени.
    If it doesn't matter whether you're going to walk or use a vehicle, you could say that. But I'd be more specific and say "ехать на работу" if that's what I was planning to do.

"Идти на работу":
    to walk on foot to the place where you work (not necessarily the whole way):
    Каждое утро, когда я иду на работу, мой кот провожает меня взглядом из окна. (Пример из Интернета.)
    2. to attend your workplace (as opposed to "to stay at home" and the like):
    А: Тебе сегодня нужно идти на работу?
    Б: Нет, сегодня у меня выходной.

Last edited:

Maroseika

Russian
    Even more natural would be:
    Мне надо на работу.
    Тебе сегодня надо на работу?

But уходить на работу is irrelevant to the mean of transport.

< Previous | Next >