избрать+instrumental/accusative?

< Previous | Next >

Vishinka

Hebrew
Hello everyone
I'm having troubles with the following sentence:
"кого могут избрать президентом страны?"
I thought that the verb "to choose" is followed by accusative vase and not by instrumental case.
Any help? Thank you

• twinsen

Russian
    Hello.

What you see here is perfectly okay from the grammatical point of view. In the sentence you are having trouble with, the verb "избирать" does not mean exactly "to choose" but "to elect". The entire phrase is translated as "who would be elected as President of the country?". General scheme of this verb's usage is as follows: "Избирать кого-либо [accusative] чем-либо [instrumental]", or "избирать кого-либо в качестве чего-либо" (to elect smb to fill the position of..."

learnerr

Russian
    General scheme of this verb's usage is as follows: "Избирать кого-либо [accusative] чем-либо [instrumental]", or "избирать кого-либо в качестве чего-либо" (to elect smb to fill the position of..."
    In fact, "кого-либо" may as well be "президента": "В Австрии избрали президента". In this case the instrumental noun ("as someone") is always lacking, unless you want to specify the tool of action rather than the quality of existence (let's say, "двухкратным большинством голосов"). Hope this does not make the matter less clear.

twinsen

Russian
    I didn't mean to say thay you were arguing :) I was trying to say that you made such a good point that it would have been crazy of me to argue

< Previous | Next >