камзол

domangelo

United States English
What does a camisole mean to a Russian speaker? I am working with a text that was written in English by a writer in Kazakhstan. He has a man wearing "an expensive camisole", but in English, a camisole is a woman's undergarment. There are several possibilities for this situation, a dressing gown, a long shirt, an athletic shirt, etc. I don't know if this writer was thinking in Russian or in Kazakh when he wrote this, so I need to get different ideas. In Russian?

• Q-cumber

Hi domangelo!

1. A camisole (камзол) - is an ancient "slim-waisted" short men's wear, with or with no sleeves...pre- waistcoat, so to speak. It was popular in many European countries in 17th-18th centuries. The word itself is of French origin.
    2. As far as I remember, a camisole can be a part of a national Kazakh's costume.

domangelo

United States English
    thanks for the photo, it's great. But I'm still a bit confused. In this photo, is the camisole the outer garment, the robe, or the inner garment, the tunic?

Q-cumber

domangelo

According to the informations I could find on the Web (is Russian) - a camisole, as a part of a national male Kazakh's costume, had (has) many variations.
    The general description is as follows:
    - a light wear, as long as to reach the ankles. No buttons (a robe type). Slim-waist and getting broader in the bottom part...often had a fabric or wool lining.
    - sleeves: long and narrow, short ones or no sleeves at all
    - Colour: usually dark monochromatic, but also could be striped or variegated
    -Collar: standing or of closed type

A camisole used to be a home wear. When a man was coming out, he put another wear over a camisole. So, as you can see, the camisole is the inner garment on the photo.
    By the way, Kazakhs, especially the rich ones, used to have fancy costumes (incl. camisoles) for special occasions (wedding ceremonies, etc.). These were embroidered with silver and golden threads and so on.
    I think is was what the author called "an expensive camisole".

domangelo

United States English
    Thank you! This has not been an easy word to research, as it seems to mean something different in every culture.

< Previous | Next >