кошелёк vs. бумажник - какая разница?

< Previous | Next >

ngry czech

Czech
In particular, how do Russians call that thing that they put money, driving licenses, credit cards and stuff like that into? Google yields wallets for both terms, but бумажники seem to be more masculine and кошельки more feminine.

Thanks in advance.

• Maroseika

Russian
    Бумажник is correct name for what you mean. Кошелек is only for the coins and some number of banknotes (stored folded).

Maroseika

Russian
    I can't agree. Some vallets really have a section for the coins, but even then I'd never call them like that - кошелек. Historically кошелек < кошель - a sack, and therefore кошелек really looks like a small sack with a fastener, while vallets are usually flat and rectangualr - not too much common.
    In confirmation of my opinion, here are a couple of dictionary definitions:

Ушаков:
    Кошелек - мешочек, чаще кожаный, с металлическим затвором, для ношения денег в кармане.
    Бумажник - карманный портфельчик для бумажных денег и мелких бумаг.

Ожегов:
    Кошелек - небольшая с запором карманная сумочка для денег.
    Бумажник - складывающийся вдвое карманный плоский портфельчик с несколькими отделениями, без ручки и обычно без запора, для ношения бумажных денег, документов.

cyanista

законодательница мод
    NRW
    Belarusian/Russian
    I can't agree. Some vallets really have a section for the coins, but even then I'd never call them like that - кошелек. Historically кошелек < кошель - a sack, and therefore кошелек really looks like a small sack with a fastener, while vallets are usually flat and rectangualr - not too much common.
    In confirmation of my opinion, here are a couple of dictionary definitions:
    I think this is one of those cases where actual modern usage has little to do with etymology and dictionary definitions. I've got one of those classical "карманных портфельчиков" myself. I've always referred to it as "кошелёк" ad it seems completely natural to me.

But I am not only talking from personal experience: lots of online shops offer "кошельки" that strictly speaking classify as "бумажник" or "портмоне".

So I am with Saluton on that.

Q-cumber

I'd say men mostly call their "whatever-they-carry-in-their-pockets" бумажники, whilst women prefer to call their purses or wallets кошельки.

ngry czech

Czech
    Hmm, so there's not much consensus. Apparently I've hit a corner case here! Google seems to be in agreement with Saluton and Cyanista: кошелёк yields some wallets, бумажник yields no purses, so I'll go with that. Thanks to everyone.

In particular, how do Russians call that thing that they put money, driving licenses, credit cards and stuff like that into? Google yields wallets for both terms, but бумажники seem to be more masculine and кошельки more feminine.

Thanks in advance.
    In everyday life these words mean practically the same. At least, I understand them as synonymous. It would be completely wrong to claim that "кошелек" is the word inherent in women only. Both men and women can have "кошелек". However, one thing is indisputable: "бумажник" is a more formal word and I have heard it used by influential and respectable people (politicians, administration personnel, principals, etc) and most often by those involved in business. Sometimes ordinary men avoid using "кошелек" and prefer "бумажник" in its stead but it does not mean that one cannot use "кошелек" if he is a man. Also, note that you will hardly ever manage to hear a woman in Russia calling her small bag for money "бумажник". Women always use "кошелек".

Another point is that probably "бумажник" contains not only money but some small documents, papers (visit cards, etc.) and pills (for stomachaches, headaches, etc.). The word "бумажник" originates from "бумага" which is translated as "paper" into English.

Maroseika

Russian
    Maybe the very problem is there are 3 or 4 different things:

1. Vallet - without any purse for change. This one is only бумажник.
    2. Change purse - no special compartment for license, cards, etc. This is кошелек - without variants.
    3. Vallet with a compartment for coins or a change purse of somewhat bigger format with compartments for cards. These two Russians call whatever they like - бумажник or кошелек.

< Previous | Next >