"культур-мультурный"

Redram

USA
English
I wonder if some native speakers could enlighten me on the meaning and nuance(s) of "культур-мультурный". For example: "Отдельные культур-мультурные деятели договорились до необходимости вообще очистить русский язык от слов-паразитов и даже аббревиатур, которые-де оскверняют наш "великий и могучий". Is the author of the quote poking fun at educated people, preferring to denote them as "so-called educated people"? Is he being sarcastic or ironic? Any suggestions as to how best the captioned adjective might be rendered in English?

• Hello!
    Is the author of the quote poking fun at educated people, preferring to denote them as "so-called educated people"?
    Exactly!
    Is he being sarcastic or ironic?
    Not sure what you mean... The "word" is derogatory.

In fact, the author makes use of the folksy and rarely used method to coin new good funny words, which is to repeat twice an existing word, alternating its first sounds, for example "такси-макси". The author in fact sustains that the "educated people" in question are not that educated, they merely take some rules they have acquired and use them without actually knowing the behind of the rules; that is, they only pretend to be educated.

Also the word makes think about "шурум-бурум", a folksy word that means chaos (for example, in one's head).

ADDITION:

I'd be happy to read it as something along the lines of:

«Some so-called "educated people" have ranted about as much as to come to the wailing necessity to purify the Russian language of any filler words and even abbreviations, as otherwise our "great and mighty" language will be doomed to death.»

A few notes:

1. Well, I'm not sure. For example, I think the word "wailing" would be better changed for something else. But I can't remember what ("immediate" would be very good in meaning, but it sounds too «official», I suppose; you would use here something emotional, that expresses true or seeming emotions of that people (and so the word "-де" would be translated). Why you may need such a word? Well, because many not-so-educated people would feel a rush when making such statements, as they really want to convince others that in fact they are educated; so the rush is charactarestic of theirs — and so you can add to the feeling that the person is "not-so-educated", that is, to render better the original);

2. The word "отдельный" originates in Communist slang. Here it is used jokingly, its use is derogatory towards "some people": it implies that "some people" behave in a way that is different from all fair people's way of behaving. I guess, there's no way to express this detail fully in English.

Last edited:

Maroseika

Russian
    Is the author of the quote poking fun at educated people, preferring to denote them as "so-called educated people"? Is he being sarcastic or ironic?
    Культур-мультур is a parody on the Turkic or maybe Caucasian alliterations in the end of phrases (кукуруза-мукуруза, шашлык-машлык), pertinent however to many languages (such as pseudo-Yiddish умер-шмумер - лишь бы был здоров).
    Therefore, yes, it is used in the sarcastic sense: those guys are not as cultured as want to seem.

By the way, великий и могучий is from the famous poem by Turgenev known to any Russian native since early schoolhood (but used mostly ironically):

"Во дни сомнений, во дни тягостных раздумий о судьбах моей родины, – ты один мне поддержка и опора, о великий, могучий, правдивый и свободный русский язык!.. Не будь тебя – как не впасть в отчаяние при виде всего, что совершается дома. Но нельзя верить, чтобы такой язык не был дан великому народу!"

< Previous | Next >