...медведица...

pisana

spanish, Spain

Hi again,
I have just found in the novel I'm translating to Spanish a sentence I suspects is hiding an indirect meaning, a cultural reference or something. Can anyone help me, please?

The characters are two policemen. The first one is talking about having an "ear" for understanding music, but he suddenly smiles thinking of something (refered to the second policemen). Besides, all the story is connected with a simbol of the Great Bear. I don't know if I've been clear enaugh or more context is necesary to understand it:

г** чуть заметно улыбнулся, намекая на то, что самому и** бо-oльшая медведица на ухо наступила.

Thank you!

• Anevan

USA
    Russian
    The phrase "медведь на ухо наступил" means "to have no ear for music".
    Большая медеведица is the Great Bear (stars).
    Using the female form of медведь is, I think, a mere word play, since there is cross reference with the Great Ursa (the stars). In don't see any cultural reference.

pisana

spanish, Spain
    Thank you very much! Now I understan. Russian-Spanish diccionary is not good and it makes my work even harder. I should use English-Russian or French-Russian, can you recomend me a good on-line free diccionary?

papillon

Russian (Ukraine)
    Большая медеведица is the Great Bear (stars).
    Using the female form of медведь is, I think, a mere word play, since there is cross reference with the Great Ursa (the stars).
    Anevan is right.
    Minor clarification: in English the constellation Большая медеведица is Ursa Major (or Big Dipper colloquially).

ucraniana

Ucrainian
    Thank you very much! Now I understan. Russian-Spanish diccionary is not good and it makes my work even harder. I should use English-Russian or French-Russian, can you recomend me a good on-line free diccionary?​

Hi,

I use www.multitran.ru - a good dictionary to learn Spanish, maybe also good to learn Russian?:)

pisana

spanish, Spain
    In fact it is also useful as Russian-Spanish diccionary, someone indicated to me some days ago. At least it is a good complement. Thank you! :)