мочь + не + impf vs мочь + не + pf

< Previous | Next >

Konstantinos

Greek - Athens
Hi all... My mind is perplexed in the case in which I have to choose an infinitive verb after мочь + не. Should it be imperfective or perfective? I have some examples of both cases, that I found in a Russian book of exercises. I cannot find a logical explanation, but i feel that exists.

Могу + не + imperfective:

1) Можешь не выключать телевизор, он мне не мешает.

2) Эту задачу можете не решатся. Она очень лёгкая.

3) Можешь не делать эту работу, я уже сделала её.

4) Можешь не поливать цветы, я уже полина их.

5) Если не хочешь, можешь не отвечать на мой вопрос.

Могу + не + perfective:

1) Замок испортилась. Боюсь, она может не открыть дверь.

2) Он очень стеснительный человек и может не задать интересующий его вопрос.

3) Я хочу посмотреть новости. Ты не можешь включить телевизор?

I feel like in the first case it is something like : можешь не = "It is given to you the opportunity - possibility, not to ...", while in the second case, it is something like: "not able to"... Or maybe, something like may - can in English.

In any case, thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
  • Vovan

Russian
    A perfective form is about a one-off action at a certain point (or, more rarely, a certain period) of time or in a certain situation.
    Она может не сказать, что у нее что-то болит [в ситуации, когда у нее что-то болит]. (=может промолчать, скрыть и т.п.)

An imperfective form is about repeated actions (but they may only be implied as such) or some continuous activity of not doing something.
    Она может не говорить, что у нее что-то болит [, пока ей совсем плохо не станет]. (Не говорит и не говорит, не говорит и не говорит.)
    Она может не говорить, что у нее что-то болит [, сколько её ни спрашивай]. (Не говорит и не говорит, не говорит и не говорит.)

Your first group of examples may be summarized as "Можешь не делать!" (=You are allowed/free not to do something , because there's no/little need of that. You needn't do something). In this construction, an imperfective form is the only option. The idea behind it is: "either now or later". i.e. a loss of clarity regarding the point of time.
    Можешь не выключать телевизор - пусть работает хоть всю ночь! (Не выключай ни сейчас, ни в течение ночи, если тебе так хочется.)

The second group of sentences is well explained by the general principle (see the first paragraph of this post).

Note: 1. "уже полила"; "замок испортился".
    2. " :cross: Эту задачу может не решатся" is ungrammatical and can't be understood.
    3. "Ты не можешь включить телевизор?" (Can you turn on the TV, please?) is truly idiomatic:thumbsup:, but it doesn't seem to have any relation to your question ("не можешь" and "можешь не" are two different things).

Jaaguar

Estonian
    Эту задачу можете не решатся.
    An infinitive always has an ь either in the end or before the suffix -ся.

"Решаться/решиться" means "to be solved" or "to dare".
    "Она хотела спросить его об этом, но не решилась будить." – "She wanted to ask him about it but didn't dare to wake him up."

I feel like in the first case it is something like : можешь не = "It is given to you the opportunity - possibility, not to ...", while in the second case, it is something like: "not able to"
    No. For instance, "to ask questions" can be seen in both imperfective and perfective. These are examples from texts written by Russians:

"Но человек не может не задавать вопрос "Для чего я живу?""
    "But a human being can't help asking the question "What am I living for?""
    (generally ask that question with smaller or greater frequency"

"Он может не задавать вопросы даже тогда, когда чего-то не понимает."
    "He may fail to ask questions even when he's not understanding something."
    (generally whenever he doesn't understand)

"Он может не задать вопрос, но быть мысленно озадачен."
    "He may fail to ask the question but [still] be puzzled inside."
    (ask the question in one specific situation)

"И зритель не может не задать вопросы, например, почему [---]"
    "And the viewer [of the movie] can't help asking questions, for instance: why [---]"
    (ask once, during or right after watching the movie)

The distinction between imperfective and perfective needs a feeling for the language which will develop over time. There is no algorithm for always knowing for sure. The good news is that often you can say it one way or another and it doesn't matter much.

< Previous | Next >