объяснение

Ralf

German
Я хочу написать другу электронную почту, просить его о объяснение своего вопроса:

Можешь бы пожалуйста объяснить, что это называется? (По английско: Could you please explain what this means?)

К сожалению я не уверен, чтобы это правильно.

Я был бы вам очень признателен, если бы кто-нибудь могли исправить моё предложение.

Пока

Ральф

• Lev Yakupov

Russia/Russian
    Good night!

Ralf, your really talented in russian, I even didn't find any orpho mistakes in your post, except word's declensions. My congratulations!

Ralf said:
    Я хочу написать другу письмо по электронной почте, и попросить его об объяснении своего вопроса ( или: прояснить свой вопрос ):

Можешь бы :cross: ли :tick: ты , пожалуйста , объяснить, что это называется :cross: значит :tick: ? (По английски: Could you please explain what this means?)

К сожалению , я не уверен, что бы :cross: это правильно.

Я был бы вам :cross: очень признателен, если бы кто-нибудь могли :cross: помог :tick: исправить мои предложения.

Пожалуйста, Ральф!

Ralf

German
    Большое спасибо, Лев.

Every now and then I'm trying to reanimate what has been left from my knowledge of Russian after more than 25 years. Therefore I really appreciate your help. Your corrections are clear to me. But I don't quite understand why you crossed out могли and used помог instead in the last sentence. Furthermore I assume you've changed предложение to the plural form--I was referring to the single question before. In this case моё предложение would be correct, right?

Again, many thanks for your help. :)

Ralf

cyanista

законодательница мод
    NRW
    Belarusian/Russian
    Hi there!
    I have some comments and corrections but I can't post them because Russian letters are displayed as question marks! I've tried more or less all available fonts but there are no cyrillic ones among them!
    Just tell me how I do it!

cyanista

законодательница мод
    NRW
    Belarusian/Russian
    Ok, I just figured that out :cool:
    So, here goes...

написать другу письмо по электронной почте

Welllll, I'm not very happy with this expression! You wouldn't say "to write a letter by (e-)mail", would you? It just doesn't sound good! You send a letter by mail/e-mail or you just write an e-mail and send an e-mail! The Russian "послать другу письмо по электронной почте" is correct but it doesn't cover "the aspect of writing". We normally say: "написать мыло" :) but that's very colloquial.
    Your comments so far, Lev?

Можешь ли ты , пожалуйста , объяснить, что это значит ?

I think "пожалуйста" is redundant here. "Можешь ли ты" is already a polite form, so you don't have to overdo it.
    Можешь ли ты объяснить, что это значит ?
    Объясни, пожалуйста, что это значит.
    or
    Не мог бы ты объяснить, что это значит ?
    The last variant employs the particle " бы" ( I can't explain why we say "Можешь ли ты.." but "Не мог бы ты..". Just remember it that way :D)

Я был бы очень признателен, если бы кто-нибудь помог исправить мои предложения.
    or as an alternative
    Я был бы очень признателен, если бы вы помогли мне исправить мои предложения.

"помог " is 3rd person singular, "помогли" is 3rd person plural. You could say "мог", "могли" as well but there's a semantic difference. "помог исправить " means helped/would help correct; "мог исправить" stands for could correct! The last variant is rather rarely used in Russian.

I hope this helps.

Lev Yakupov

Russia/Russian
    Ralf said:
    But I don't quite understand why you crossed out могли and used помог instead in the last sentence
    Oh, it's goes to по prefix, without it word point to ability-to-do-something, while with it - have to-help-somebody meaning. And in case of using кто-нибудь I put it in singular form. But cyanista (thank you!) already made that moment clear :)

Ralf said:
    I was referring to the single question before. In this case моё предложение would be correct, right?
    Yes, Ralf, it would be absolutely right! Im apologize for misunderstood of you :)

cyanista said:
    The Russian "послать другу письмо по электронной почте" is correct but it doesn't cover "the aspect of writing". We normally say: "написать на мыло" but that's very colloquial.
    Also a good variant. Indeed I used a formal phrase only because it is common corporate-style translation for e-mail, at least in my company.

I think "пожалуйста" is redundant here. "Можешь ли ты" is already a polite form, so you don't have to overdo it.
    Again, this is also right. But I'm think, that such a words never being unnecessary or redundant ;)

Ralf

German
    cyanista said:
    Я был бы очень признателен, если бы кто-нибудь помог исправить мои предложения.
    or as an alternative
    Я был бы очень признателен, если бы вы помогли мне исправить мои предложения.

"помог " is 3rd person singular, "помогли" is 3rd person plural. You could say "мог", "могли" as well but there's a semantic difference. "помог исправить " means helped/would help correct; "мог исправить" stands for could correct! The last variant is rather rarely used in Russian.

I hope this helps.
    Sure it helps. Thank you, cyanista.

I just didn't realise why Lev used помоть since I was kind of fixed on the sentence that I had originally in mind, which was in fact: "I would be very grateful if anybody could correct my sentence."

Now you both put it as: "I would be very grateful, if anybody would help to correct my sentences", right?

Ещё раз, большое вам спасибо, Лев и Сианиста (написанное правильно по-русски?).

Ralf

cyanista

законодательница мод
    NRW
    Belarusian/Russian
    :)

Never thought about transliterating my nick into Russian, but I think it would be "Цианиста".

:)

I will need your help in the German forum soon, Ralf, I already have a tricky question in mind:)

Cheers!

Lev Yakupov

Russia/Russian
    I just didn't realise why Lev used помоть since I was kind of fixed on the sentence that I had originally in mind, which was in fact: "I would be very grateful if anybody could correct my sentence."
    Hah, there so many variants with very close meanings. Below is one, you kept in mind:
    Я был бы очень признателен, если бы кто-нибудь смог бы поправить моё предложение.
    Again only a one prefix change the whole meaning ;)

Just for fun, compare next sentences:
    смог бы поправить - could correct a mistake, for example.
    смог бы исправить - could fix some mechanism.
    помог исправить and помог поправить - are both have united meaning of previous two sentences, but with 'would' instead of 'could'.

Ralf

German
    Lev Yakupov said:
    Just for fun, compare next sentences:
    смог бы поправить - could correct a mistake, for example.
    смог бы исправить - could fix some mechanism.
    помог исправить and помог поправить - are both have united meaning of previous two sentences, but with 'would' instead of 'could'.
    After all, it is not just for fun ;)--I take it rather seriously. :)

With your examples I see the problem and the difference--and the vague memory "haunts" me that I used to be pretty well aware of it long, long ago. It is kind of embarrassing to realise how much can be forgotten within 20years.

Anyway, I think the subject with мочь, смочь and помочь should be worth a separate thread since it has not that much to do with the original title объяснение.

Большое спасибо, Лев.

Ralf

MindStorm

Russia, russian
    I can say only one thing-as for me, i think that поправить means "to correct a bit" while исправить means "to correct totally",but when you speak about writing, исправить is more common