одно и то же

robertino

Italian
Привет всем...
I am watching a movie with that funny russian dubbing, trying to write down some interesting sentences and I think I understood something like this, but I'm not sure:

"мамушка...25 лет вы мне повторяет одно и то."

Is it a correct sentence? Does it mean something like "mother...it's 25 years that you keep repeating me the same thing"?
It fits in the dialogue so I think it's something like that. What interests me is the last part of it, "одно и то": how could you use it in other sentences? It sounds some useful phrase to learn...
Bye bye thanks in advance for your help!

• papillon

Russian (Ukraine)
    You got it right. It is actually
    "одно и то же" and it does mean "the same thing" often used for something that happens repeatedly.
    A more direct equivalent of the same thing "то же самое".

Both are very commonly used phrases and it's definitely good to incorporate them into your speech:).

papillon

Russian (Ukraine)
    Oh, and I forgot examples.
    These are taken from actual Russian texts I found on the web:

Настоящее искусство всегда напоминает о смерти или о жизни, что, на самом деле, одно и то же.

Был ли кто-то из нас в том месте, где произошла вся эта история, или даже не слышал о нем никогда, в сущности, это одно и то же.

ekhlewagastiR

Russian (languages RUS, SWE, ENG, GER, ESP)

Is it a correct sentence?

No, it is not. It would be

мама...(вот уже) 25 лет Вы мне повторяете одно и то же

"мамушка" sounds really strange, actually I´ve never heard it. I think it´s invented by the author/translator

if you add "вот уже" or just "уже" (in that case behind "мне"), it would sound more natural. It´s not indispensable but in the oral speech we normally use these words quite offten.

if you are wrighting politely to one person, then Вы is written with capital letter "В". nowadays you can also see it with small letters but still it´s not so accepted. (if I´d have written in Russian to you instead of English, I´d wright "Вы" to you)

then:

повторяете - "e" was missing

одно и то же - means "the same thing"

robertino

Italian
    Thank you....
    мамушка is probably мамучка, as I listened more carefully. It is the translation of the italian "mammina"... anyway, I looked for both on Google and there is a lot of examples with these words, so I guess they're commonly used... I think I heard my ex-girlfriend use something like that as well.

ekhlewagastiR

Thank you....
    мамушка is probably мамучка, as I listened more carefully. It is the translation of the italian "mammina"... anyway, I looked for both on Google and there is a lot of examples with these words, so I guess they're commonly used... I think I heard my ex-girlfriend use something like that as well.

I think it was "мамoчка" :)
    I personally don´t like this form of the word but the fact is that it´s commonly used.

ekhlewagastiR

I looked for both on Google and there is a lot of examples with these words, so I guess they're commonly used...

a little off topic: this curios thing occurs to me:
    whatever word I google (the word may sound rare or never been heard by me before), the system always gives me a lot of examples :)

papillon

Russian (Ukraine)
    Ah, yes of course -- повторяете, I missed this one.
    For your "мамушка", I guess the most likely word intended was "матушка", but this would depend on the context. Addressing one's mom with "вы" and using the word "матушка" is generally associated with the way people spoke in the country or small villages in "old days", for me probably something like 100 years ago or more, although I'm sure even these days some people speak like that.

Unless, of course, she was a Mother Superior of a monastery. Then it's definitely матушка.;)

ekhlewagastiR

Ah, yes of course -- повторяете, I missed this one.
    For your "мамушка", I guess the most likely word intended was "матушка", but this would depend on the context. Addressing one's mom with "вы" and using the word "матушка" is generally associated with the way people spoke in the country or small villages in "old days", for me probably something like 100 years ago or more, although I'm sure even these days some people speak like that.

Inless, of course, she was the Mother Superior of a monastery. Then it's definitely матушка.;)

you are absolutely right!!
    I forgot "матушка" :)

robertino

Italian
    I thought it was Matushka as well, but appearently he says mamoshka. I'm pretty sure about the "m"!
    Papillon is right, the movie is set almost 100 years ago; the two women belong to an upper-middle class, though. I'm talking about the beautiful Oci Ciarnie (this is the title), with Marcello Mastroianni(!), and directed by Nikita Michalkov(!)... Those two names should be enough to make you stand up from tht chair and run to the nearest shop to buy it! It is probably one of those really good movies one can find in those boxes where they sell DVDs for 9.90 euros or less!! :D

dec-sev

Russian
    Привет всем...
    I am watching a movie with that funny russian dubbing, trying to write down some interesting sentences and I think I understood something like this, but I'm not sure:

Is it a correct sentence? Does it mean something like "mother...it's 25 years that you keep repeating me the same thing"?
    It fits in the dialogue so I think it's something like that. What interests me is the last part of it, "одно и то": how could you use it in other sentences? It sounds some useful phrase to learn...
    Bye bye thanks in advance for your help!

You've probably misheard the word "матушка" which is a pet name for "moter". It's used ironically when you adress a woman.

ekhlewagastiR

You've probably misheard the word "матушка" which is a pet name for "moter". It's used ironically when you adress a woman.

papillon has already perfectly explained the meaning of this word:

"For your "мамушка", I guess the most likely word intended was "матушка", but this would depend on the context. Addressing one's mom with "вы" and using the word "матушка" is generally associated with the way people spoke in the country or small villages in "old days", for me probably something like 100 years ago or more, although I'm sure even these days some people speak like that.

Unless, of course, she was a Mother Superior of a monastery. Then it's definitely матушка."

ekhlewagastiR

When a baby adress the mother he/she uses this word

I´ve never heard it used by babies (it´s too long for them, I guess :) ), but it´s normally used by young women. It´s commonly used, though I personally never do it. :)

An exclamation: "Ой, мамочки дорогие!" when it happens something

the word mostly used in the forums of young mothers is "мамoчка" when the women are referring to each other. There so many threads beginning with "what other мамочки think about....", "need an advice of other "мамoчки", a forum section for the "молодые мамoчки" etc