пастернак (spelling)

< Previous | Next >

Encolpius

Hungarian
Good morning ladies & gentlemen, I learned here in WR that Russian spelling is very regular. Now I have got the feeling пастернак must be the first exception (at least I came across). Do you have any idea why it is not пастэрнaк ??? Do you know about any similar interesting exceptions? Thank you in advance. Enco.

• Vadim K

Russian - Russia
    Could you please explain what you mean "Russian spelling is very regular"? If you mean that symbols in Russian written language have an exact association with sounds of Russian oral language, then it's simply not true. And that's one of, if not the most imporatnt reasons why the vast majority of Russian people always do mistakes when they write in Russian starting at primary school level.

Encolpius

Hungarian
    Yes, I mean about "regularity" exactly what you wrote. But that is not my concern in this thread. Do you have any idea why it is not пастэрнaк ??? Do you know about any similar examples? Thanks.

Vadim K

Russian - Russia
    Луи Пасте́р, те́та, те́ннис, те́трис, тент, темп. If it's enough, please let me know.

Eirwyn

Russian
    The same reason we don't write "тэст", "дэпо" or "тэндэнция". According to the orthographic rules, there are just three common nouns spelt with "э" after a consonant: мэр, пэр and сэр.

AndrasBP

Hungarian
    I learned here in WR that Russian spelling is very regular. Now I have got the feeling пастернак must be the first exception (at least I came across).
    I think what you need to know is that in loanwords, the letter <e> does not always palatalize the preceding consonant. In "дельфин", it does, in "теннис", it doesn't.

Awwal12

Russian
    Good morning ladies & gentlemen, I learned here in WR that Russian spelling is very regular. Now I have got the feeling пастернак must be the first exception (at least I came across). Do you have any idea why it is not пастэрнaк ??? Do you know about any similar interesting exceptions? Thank you in advance. Enco.
    "Е" is the most problematic letter of the Russian alphabet. By default it palatalizes the preceding consonant, but in loanwords it very frequently doesn't (there are some tendencies, but in the end it cannot be accurately predicted, and sometimes there are variations in speech). And, of course, it may stand for "ё"...

< Previous | Next >