педераст

csicska

hungarian
Hello. I've heard that if someone uses педераст as an insult to you, you can say гетераст as a response/retort. Is that true? Thank you.

- Man 1: педераст!
- Man 2: гетераст!

• Vovan

Russian
    I don't remember ever having heard that in real life, but the joke makes sense (at least, for educated people). :)
    Whether or not it will be appreciated is another matter, mind.

Şafak

Hello. I've heard that if someone uses педераст as an insult to you, you can say гетераст as a response/retort. Is that true? Thank you.

- Man 1: педераст!
    - Man 2: гетераст!
    I've heard it 5 million times but the response was "гитарист". I still don't understand the joke.

Awwal12

Russian
    I don't remember ever having heard that in real life
    It's really much more frequent in the derived folk form пидора́с (and more typically in the figurative sense, just as a general insult).
    I cannot remember when I actually heard педераст for the last time as well.
    but the joke makes sense (at least, for educated people)
    Pretty much that.

csicska

hungarian
    I think I now realized something. The retort in my original post would not make sense if made by a heterosexual person to another heterosexual person, as if someone insulted me by calling me a pederast, it would be ridiculous for me to call them a heterosexual person in return. :confused: I think it works only if a heterosexual person calls a gay a pederast and then the gay person can in return call them a geterast.

The гитарист one would probably work better in a heterosexual-heterosexual insult match. Google tells me that гитараст is an active gay (provider) and гитарист is a passive gay (recipient). Go figure.

Vovan

Russian
    I think it works only if a heterosexual person calls a gay a pederast and then the gay person can in return call them a geterast.
    Yes, definitely.
    The гитарист one would probably work better in a heterosexual-heterosexual insult match. Google tells me that гитараст is an active gay (provider) and гитарист is a passive gay (recipient). Go figure.
    "Гитараст" may have had its moments in the past (when it was even used to translate "Guitar Queer-o", the title of an episode of the South Park series), but these days it is hardly known to the general public. But is still found in some dictionaries with the meaning "a conceited guitarist" ([1][2]). Interestingly enough, some popular sites draw parallels between the Russian "гитараст" and the English "a guitard".

By formal criteria, "гетераст" should also be considered slang, but unlike "гитараст" or "гитарист", the word would be fairly easily understood by many in a context as in #1.

Last edited:

MIDAV

Russian
    Педераст is not a word, not in the language of the street at least. You can only expect to see it in legal/scientific contexts. But its corrupted version (пидора́с) is indeed extremely popular and a pretty strong insult that should not be used unless you are looking for trouble.

And the opposite of гетеро- is гомо-, not пед-. A joke like discussed above would only make sense along those lines – e.g. гомосек/гетеросек (still lame but whatever).

MIDAV

Russian
    P.S. If the point was in finding a smart comeback for the above mentioned п-word, there can be none in my opinion. The insult is too strong. If someone is calling you that, they want to hurt you. Anything short of a (verbal) fight makes you the loser.

Awwal12

Russian
    Педераст is not a word, not in the language of the street at least. You can only expect to see it in legal/scientific contexts.
    You absolutely cannot expect to see it in modern legal or scientific contexts. Aside from historical usages, it's a derogatory (and, indeed, rare and rather bookish) term for homosexuals in modern Russian, with potential semantic extensions.