получил двойку

robertino

Italian
Привет всем...
мне надо будет переводить на италянский язык один диалог между друзьями, в котором есть такая фраза:

"я получил два двойки".

My question is: would you translate it in English as "I got two two" ignoring the cacophony of it (this is the same in Italian), or would you change the "двойки" into something like "i got two D", adapting the двойкa thing to the marks system of your country, just to avoid the cacophony? This would not only avoid the cacophony, but make the text easily understandable I think. Though,
I would prefer to keep the двойкa as it is, possibly with a note indicating how the marks work in Russia, but this is just because I like "educating" translations, that is, the ones that give you some interesting information about the culture they are talking about, and not only about the plot itself. Still, it is common in translations to change things into different ones just to better reach the mind of the reader...

What's your opinion about it? "Translation philosophy" are quite a topic to talk about, don't you agree?:)
I don't know how I'll work it out with this sentence (it will be in my next russian exam), I think I'll decide at the moment!
See you..

---
Please, correct both my English and Russian if you like!:)

• Carrie2

English, UK
    The English translations would be "I got two twos" or "I got two Ds". If you use the first one you'd probably need a footnote or some explanation of the Russian marking system, and the second one, as you say, is a bit further from the Russian original.

By the way, in Russian it should be "я получил две двойки". ;-)

Carrie2

ekhlewagastiR

Russian (languages RUS, SWE, ENG, GER, ESP)
    The English translations would be "I got two twos" or "I got two Ds". If you use the first one you'd probably need a footnote or some explanation of the Russian marking system, and the second one, as you say, is a bit further from the Russian original.

By the way, in Russian it should be "я получил две двойки". ;-)

Carrie2

Agree at 100% with Carrie2:
    две двойки

two possibilities of translation. if you choose the first one, you´ll need to explane it :)

Jana337

čeština
    Is important for the dialogue that the students are from Russia? If not, I would replace it by an Italian equivalent. If so, I would educate the reader. :)

Jana

papillon

Russian (Ukraine)
    I personally like your "two two's" approach, but if you want to go for a country-neutral alternative I wouldn't use D, not everyone would know what a D is. If I remember correctly A = "excellent", B = "good", C = "satisfactory", and D = "unsatisfactory", so I would use these. Interestingly, these were also used in USSR, and in fact my Diploma lists my grades in this format.

dec-sev

Russian
    Привет всем...
    мне надо будет переводить на италянский язык один диалог между друзьями, в котором есть такая фраза:

"я получил два двойки".

My question is: would you translate it in English as "I got two two" ignoring the cacophony of it (this is the same in Italian), or would you change the "двойки" into something like "i got two D", adapting the двойкa thing to the marks system of your country, just to avoid the cacophony? This would not only avoid the cacophony, but make the text easily understandable I think. Though,
    I would prefer to keep the двойкa as it is, possibly with a note indicating how the marks work in Russia, but this is just because I like "educating" translations, that is, the ones that give you some interesting information about the culture they are talking about, and not only about the plot itself. Still, it is common in translations to change things into different ones just to better reach the mind of the reader...

What's your opinion about it? "Translation philosophy" are quite a topic to talk about, don't you agree?:)
    I don't know how I'll work it out with this sentence (it will be in my next russian exam), I think I'll decide at the moment!
    See you..

---
    Please, correct both my English and Russian if you like!:)

The right answer will be " я получил две двойки". The word две is used here because in russian ajectives decline in accordance with the gender and the form (plural or singular). In this respect English is much better.
    If you've got only one bad mark you should say я получил двойку. you don't have to add the word одну.
    As far as culture as concerned I have to say that you've touched a very interesting subject. We in USSR had Five mark system, where mark "five" meant "excellent". Двойка was used as the worst mark. Only when your teacher was furious with a pupil's knowlege on the subject he colud влепить ученику "кол". It' a sleng for "1" mark. One russian artist once painted a picture. If I'm not mistaken it's called "Снова довойка" или "Опять двойка".

papillon

Russian (Ukraine)
    Only when your teacher was furious with a pupil's knowlege on the subject he colud влепить ученику "кол". It' a sleng for "1" mark.
    Yes, I think it's quite funny that a "dvoika" (2) means "you don't know the subject" and "kol" or "yedinitsa" (1) means "you don't know the subject and you pissed me off".

ballena

Russian
    One russian artist once painted a picture. If I'm not mistaken it's called "Снова двойка" или "Опять двойка".
    He-he, famous "Опять двойка" by Reshetnikov :D .
    But as far as I understand marking system in Canada (is it different from US?) "D" is still a mark for some knowledge. Correct equivalent to "двойка" is "F" (Failed)